Search

Crowne Plaza Downtown in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
g2g
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crowne Plaza Downtown in Amsterdam

Any feedback on this property would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Nice hotel at a very good central location.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:22 AM

It is within very easy walking distance of the Centraal Station and a few blocks from Dam Square, near tram lines, etc.

You might want to read reviews at TripAdvisor.com and possibly on www.channels.nl (where you can see its location on a map).
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM

We just stayed there with our 2 children. No complaints. Nice room, nice staff, central location, 2 minute walk from train. A big American style hotel.

John
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:47 AM
MaureenB

Are you familiar with Amsterdam? Do you want to be close to the train station and dam square? They weren't our favorite parts of Amsterdam, by far. I'd suggest you look at Hotel de l'Europe or Hotel Doelan, for upscale hotels that are central but more quiet. Or near Vondelpark was nice, too. We didn't like the busy tourist spots for lodging, like Leidesplein (sp?).

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM

i agree, nice hotel.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Actually, in response to Maureen, while the hotel is a short walk to the station and Dam square, it is on a relatively quiet street. It is nothing like being on Damrak. I liked the location because it is an easy walk into Jordaan in one direction, the red light district in the other, and only a 20 minute walk to the big museums and Vondelpark (which was highly overrated, in my opinion - doesn't hold a candle to my hometown's Central Park).

John
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Having been to A-Dam numerous times (and usually staying on the other side of Damrak on Geldersekaade, the CP is around the corner from the tram area fronting Centraal Station.

The Damrak itself is a swirl of humanity both raucous and otherwise but the CP location is a great jumping off point.

I also have to agree with the Vondelpark assessment. NUMEROUS folks here swoon about how beautiful it is but I thought it was a little rough around the edges and nothing in particular to write home about....
but everyone travels differently and we're all glad of it.

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:47 PM
g2g
Original Poster

Ended up booking it as they have family size rooms and an indoor pool(a bonus with kids) Please a reasonable rate for when we are travelling.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:12 AM

I think you'll like it. We've used it a couple of times and here is my review from 2003:

"The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is a 250-room, five-star hotel within a short walking distance of Centraal Station. It is one of the few Amsterdam hotels with an indoor swimming pool. The hotel is housed in a modern building that was constructed with surprising harmony to the historic buildings that surround it. In fact, the hotel's flagship Dorrius Restaurant is actually an old canal-style building that has been incorporated into the structure.

Rooms are comfortable with modern conveniences, including data ports. Size wise, they compare with more western-style accommodations vs. some of the tighter quarters that are common in many parts of Europe. Douvet covers, individual climate control, modern bath fixtures, etc. are all what would be expected in a higher-end hotel.

The full breakfast buffet is a worthwhile addition if you can work that into your rate, as is the Club Lounge on the sixth-floor which features complimentary beer, wine, coffee, and snacks along with online computer access (it's a bit slow, but it works). There is also a furnished deck that provides a comfortable place to unwind and meet some of the other guests.

Downstairs, check out the Amsterdammer Bar, which offers a toney ambiance and a great environment to enjoy some of Holland's finest draft beer, among other choices. The Crowne Plaza's location places it within easy reach of public transportation as well as within easy walking distance of Dam Square, the Red Light District, and busy shopping districts.

We give the Crowne Plaza high marks for quality in all respects and we were pleased to be able to pick up a special rate (watch the website and you may get lucky; Priority Club membership may also net you some complimentary ammenities, so be sure to join). The hotel can be booked through the Intercontinental hotels site.