Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chianti or Cinqueterre? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chianti-or-cinqueterre-1047712/)

Mary359 Jun 10th, 2015 09:32 AM

Chianti or Cinqueterre?

While staying in Florence, we have an open day that we can either fill with a Florence to Cinqueterre tour or a Chianti tour. Which would you recommend? We're bold, red wine fans and already have a day planned touring Siena, Montalcino & Val D' Orcia with a Brunello Tasting.

RonZ Jun 10th, 2015 10:08 AM

Chianti. CT it's 5 hours on trains and 4 trips going to and from stations.

bvlenci Jun 10th, 2015 10:32 AM

What time of year is this?

I have to say that I don't consider the Cinque Terre a good day trip, especially from Florence. It's about a 3-hour drive each way. During the day, except in the late autumn, winter and early spring, the little towns are overflowing with day trippers. I wouldn't go there unless I could stay at least two nights, to be able to enjoy the place without the hordes.

I'm not really a wine lover, so I can't give you much advice about a trip to Chianti.

PalenQ Jun 10th, 2015 10:38 AM

Only those two choices? What about Pisa and Leaning Tower or Bologna just an hour by train and IME a vastly underrted city here as I see so few mention it at all - more certified historic strcutres in its city center I read than any other place in Italy.

Or Assisi, Perugia, etc.

I've done a day trip from Florence to Cinque Terre and visited 4 of the 5 villages - by train - had no time to hike which to me is the real to visit - the hikes between the 5 Lands.

bobthenavigator Jun 10th, 2015 11:00 AM

Why only 2 choices?
Yes, the CT is too far for me.
What about Lucca or Pisa? Both easier trips.

JES28 Jun 10th, 2015 12:10 PM

I would suggest the CT, but only if you have more time. It is AMAZING!

PalenQ Jun 10th, 2015 12:28 PM

If you leave Florence at 7:39 am you'd be in the Cinque Terre - Monterosso about 10 am - you could easily hike much of or all of the 7 miles of trails that link each village and the route is at times somewhat scenic - anyway for lots of info on Italian trains: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. These mainly involve IC trains which have a walk-up fare not much more at times than those discounted and highly restricted online discounts - check www.trenitalia.com for schedules and various fares and making the mandatory reservation required on IC trains.

flpab Jun 10th, 2015 01:43 PM

I stayed two days doing Cinque Terre but hiked and you need that. Maybe Lucca instead. You can take a train there without a tour and walk the city.

PalenQ Jun 10th, 2015 02:52 PM

Lucca is a real gem - one of the finest walled towns in Europe and known for its many towers the wealthy folks used to escape the rabble and plagues running amok down below. Could be twinned with a brief stop in Pisa for the Leaning Tower if that perks your interest.

Mary359 Jun 10th, 2015 05:36 PM

Thank you so much! We are doing a lot and going to lots of places. This is just an open day and 2 things available that I hadn't put in the rest of my itinerary. I think we'll stick with Chiant.