Chianciano Terme Italy

Jul 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Chianciano Terme Italy

Has anyone been here or stayed here? Has anyone stayed at Villa Maria's? Please tell me your experiences.

Thanks
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:23 AM

JandaO, this spring we stayed at LaFoce for a week, an estate with rental houses and apartments, just outside of Chianciano Terme. It was a great location for seeing southern Tuscany and western Umbria....we ran out of days before we ran out of daytrips! We think it's a particularly beautiful area of Italy. We drove through Chianciano Terme several times but never stopped (maybe next trip.)
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Didn't stay there (stayed in nearby Montepulciano), but I had a most memorable, delicious meal at a restaurant called Casale.
Jul 13th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Nutella,

Where did you stay in Montepulciano? Have you heard of Villa Notolla?
Jul 13th, 2003, 04:57 PM

We had a wonderful time in Chianciano Terme, staying several nights at the Grand Hotel for, I believe, about $100 per night. (We'd booked a room in another hotel in another town that turned out to be a little too down-at-the-heels and about 50 yards from the A1). So finding the Grand Hotel was a relief for us, and we found Chianciano Terme a great location for touring Tuscany and Umbria.

The Grand Hotel is like stepping back in time -- to the 1960s, to be exact. As it happens, a Fellini movie was shot there. (The whole of the modern part of Chianciano Terme had that 60s modern feel to it) We had a suite, which was quite large, whith pistachio-green walls, a white rococo dining table, and the green sofa was definitely vintage 1960s, but in a cool way. The bathroom was enormous and quite luxurious. Parts of the hotel appeared to be recently modernized (new windows, for example) and other parts a little shabby, but we were charmed.

It was early April and the hotel was almost empty when we arrived, as was the town. It was a little wierd to be the only guests in the very large dining room, but then a Tyrolean tour group showed up and it was fine.

Anyway, we enjoyed it.
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Chianciano had their boom in the 60's when the govt paid for spa treatments. It is a great place just for a walk and shop around. Most people that go there are elderly. I found a wonderful hotel 8 km from Chianciano called Villa il Patriarca. it is an unknown place opened up recently. not sure of the web site, just search it out. the food and service are out of this world and it is a great central place to do day trips. good luck lor
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi JandaO

I normally don't answer threads that I don't have info about but, I just got back from that area and stayed at Villa Il Patriarca! I agree with Lorridamico, It is one of the nicest hotels we ever stayed at. The restaurant is great and just got a Michelin star!! The rooms are to die for, good A/C, big bathrooms with rain showers! I can't say enough good things about this place. It is right off the A1 in Chiusi. Stay there you won't regret it.