Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chex Mix Travels Stateside (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chex-mix-travels-stateside-398733/)

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 06:54 AM

Chex Mix Travels Stateside

I am very happy to announce that coldwar's Chex Mix recipe is traveling very well here stateside. I made it for Valentine treats to rave reviews. On the recipe card I included with each treat bag, I entitled it "Traveler's Holiday Mix". coldwar, I hope you approve!

Iregeo Feb 13th, 2004 07:04 AM

Crepes, inspired by a recent thread, I'd like to nominate your post title for post title of the year! And kudos to you and coldwar for creating a "fodorites family" tradition!

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 07:08 AM

Thanx with an "x" like in Chex. I am preparing my acceptance speech.

coldwar27 Feb 13th, 2004 01:25 PM

Wow! Fantastic! I never considered making it for Valentine's Day but I might have to now.

I thought I would share the response I got from General Mills. Suffice it to say, the mystery continues.

Thank you for contacting us here at General Mills. We appreciate your interest in our cereals.

In November 1989, General Mills and Nestle S.A. merged to create a joint venture, Cereal Partners Worldwide (CPW), for the purpose of developing and selling breakfast cereals throughout the world, outside the continent of North America.

Consequently, I ask that you contact CPW directly regarding your inquiry.

Case postale
Chemin du Viaduc 1
1000 Lausanne 16
Switzerland
Telephone: +41 21 622 5511
Fax: +41 21 803 0260

With the addition of Switzerland now, this truly is a travel related post. Maybe I should just travel to Switzerland for the answer. :)

highledge Feb 13th, 2004 01:29 PM

switxerland?

Iregeo Feb 13th, 2004 01:31 PM

crepes, you do mean your "x"eptance speech, don't you?

elaine Feb 13th, 2004 02:34 PM

It makes sense that your recipe would be very successful in the US.
After all, our system of government is based on chex and balances.

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 04:09 PM

YES YES YES! I love these "x"-posés! Let's keep it going a while, shall we? After all, there have been much more ridiculous threads than our traveling chex mix!

carrolldf Feb 13th, 2004 05:23 PM

Shouldn't this one be posted in the US Forum? :)

Did you use the Easter M's (pink & red) for the Valentine's mix? I sent the recipe to my sister in law with instructions to be sure to use the appropriate M's for the occasion for color coordination. That will make it X-tra special.

coldwar27 Feb 13th, 2004 05:53 PM

Xcellent suggestion carrolldf.

I hope the US is ready for it. Perhaps I need to couch it in terms of "What hotel in Vegas would serve Chex cereal for breakfast?" or "Will traveler's chex be accepted at Disney World?"

carrolldf Feb 13th, 2004 06:07 PM

I vote for the later title....as long as you don't ask about Euro Chex.

I guess if you make the mix with Shreddies instead of wheat/corn/rice chex, then it would be Euro Chex Mix.

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 06:53 PM

I didn't put this in the US forum because the mix was originally a gift sent to the UK. It's first trip was an international one. We may import the mix to the US forum later. Right now, I am x-ing that idea!

crepes_a_go_go Feb 13th, 2004 06:55 PM

Wait, I think that should be "x"port the mix to the US forum.

And I used the Valentine bag of M&Ms and will use the Easter bag for the Traveler's Easter Mix.

carrolldf Feb 14th, 2004 07:20 AM

By the way, is this what they serve on Czex Airlines?

coldwar27 Feb 14th, 2004 01:29 PM

I took Crepes idea and made Valentine's Chex mix today too. :)

It was difficult finding finding the Valentine's m&m's because they have that stupid ad campaign to find the colors and all of the bags at the store were black and white ones. I finally tracked down the Valentine ones. Great idea Crepes!

crepes_a_go_go Feb 14th, 2004 09:22 PM

Thanx coldwar. I owe it all to your inspiring post! Sorry you had trouble locating the Valentine M&Ms. Way down south here in Walmart country, there were plenty. You know Walmart never runs out of anything. Tomorrow they will be on clearance for practically nothing per bag!

Wonder if there's any chance of a St Paddy's bag of M&Ms? I guess not. Well, I am waiting for the Easter mix.

coldwar27 Feb 14th, 2004 09:28 PM

I should have known better. I live in the south too (Florida). The treats were well received! :)

carrolldf Feb 15th, 2004 12:41 PM

It may be going a bit far for Chex Mix, but you can custom order M&Ms in your choice of 21 different colors. http://www.colorworks.com/cgi-bin/sg...0224&GEN5=.

One of the pre-selected mixes is St Patrick's Day.

I obviously spend way too much time on the web........I thought about ordering a mix in purple and light purple once

Iregeo Feb 15th, 2004 12:46 PM

carrolldf, your fascination with m&m's is "X"traordinary!!!

coldwar27 Feb 15th, 2004 12:47 PM

This is a great site! Thanks for sharing. I was at Downtown Disney recently and saw dispensers of various individual colors and thought about it for St. Patrick's Day. Now I can order them from this site. :)