Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chester, England. A brief trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chester-england-a-brief-trip-report-48834/)

M & J Jul 18th, 1999 06:06 AM

Chester, England. A brief trip report

We recently returned from Chester, England, about a 2 hour train ride (change in Crewe) from Manchester airport/train station. Chester is our type of city resting quietly on the banks of the River Dee with its Roman and medieval walls, Victorian homes, shopping rows in 17th century stores, quiet river cruises, a Roman Amplitheatre, ruins of St John's Norman church, a city cathredral, ancient gates, a nearly totally intact city wall just perfect for evening walks and standing under the Eastgate Clock designed to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The city center is virtually car free. We are glad to answer any questions.

nickie Jul 18th, 1999 07:03 AM

Thanks for sharing! Where did you stay, and would you recommend it? I was thinking of driving from Edinburgh to Chester, and then Chester to Wales - does this seem practical to you?

M & J Jul 18th, 1999 03:45 PM

Hi Nickie: In Chester we stayed at the Cavendish B & B Hotel, about a 30 minute walk from town center. They also have another B & B which is located more in the center of town. We wanted to be away from the city as that week was the Chester horse race with great numbers of visitors. Their web site is www.hotel-chester.com/indexc.htm and we paid 35 L per night, including a tasty and typical English breakfast with mushrooms and baked tomatoes. The Cavenish has a variety of rooms, we stayed in their 4 Poster Red Room. There is no air conditioning, but this room had cross circulation and it was cool at night. Yes, we would stay there again. <BR>We have been to England three times, never attempted to drive, but have used trains without any problems. <BR>I think that if we did try to drive, we would constantly remind ourselves which lane to drive in, how to make a turn, etc. Interestingly enough, on the flight over to Manchester, we talked with an English couple who just completed a month travel in the US. They drove without a problem and said that the US drivers were very considerate. From the city walls, you can see Wales. The Romans built the city in 79 AD to protect themselves from the Welsh.

M & J Jul 18th, 1999 03:49 PM

Nickie--I errored, the cost for the B & B was 35 L each, total of 70 L for both of us, including all taxes.

virginia Jul 19th, 1999 09:15 AM

To Nickie, <BR> <BR>I have stayed in Chester and drove to Wales it is right on the boarder of Wales. I will be in Edinburgh this fall and will be taking the train to Chester to pick up a car. I am staying in Shropshire but have a lot of trips planned in Wales.

Sheila Jul 20th, 1999 12:45 AM

Edinburgh to Chester to Wales is eminently driveable and should not even be rushed.

Pete & Patty Jul 22nd, 1999 07:59 PM

My husband and I are trying to decide if traveling by car or train is best out of Chester and into Wales. Does a BritRail pass cover Wales? Has anyone a recommendation for a narrow gauge train trip? Anyone taken a mine tour? Any and all recommendations regarding hiking and lodging are appreciated.

Dave Jul 23rd, 1999 04:07 AM

Patty, <BR> <BR>Yes, Britrail passes are valid in Wales, including some scenic lines (Conwy Valley in Snowdon Mts). I believe the passes are NOT valid for most narrow-gauge excursion railways. <BR> <BR>Search for past Wales postings; I recall seeing some recomendations on the topics you mentioned within the past month or so. <BR> <BR>You might consider reposting this question, as your post got tacked on to the end of another. A separate posting might get a better response. <BR> <BR>Wales is a beautiful place. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.