Should I stay in Izmir or Bergama when I want to visit Pergamon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill be traveling by bus from Cannakale. The original plan was to stay in Bergama and visit Pergamon but I have been reading that a lot of people stay in Izmir and go there. Since Ill be in Izmir when I visit Ephesus, should I just stay there for 2 nights and forget about staying in Bergama?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM

If there are good bus connections, I would stay in Izmir...it's only about 90 kms from Bergama..saves you relocating just for a night. Facetiously, the next best bet is to go to Berlin where a good chunk of the Pergamon ruins (the handsome altar, the colorful gate) have found a permanent home. Still a sore point with the Turkish government.

Enjoy Turkey, HiMOM...it's there for you to love.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 01:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stu, I am sorry to disagree:
1. Pergamom is on the way from Canakkale to Ephesus.
2. The OP should not stay in Izmir unless there is interest in visiting Izmir. People who wish to visit Ephesus and the related sites need to stay in Selcuk rather than Izmir, which is another 80 kilometers South of Izmir.
3. If leaving Canakkale early in the morning, the OP can also visit Troy and/or Assos on the way to Pergamom and still get time to taste the unique town of Bergama.
4. There are some decent and reasonably priced B&Bs (pansiyon in Turkish) in Bergama , against more expensive lodging in Izmir.
5. It really would be a waste of time and money to travel an extra 150-200 miles, backtracking. If one must stay in Izmir, even Ephesus is a long day and Sardis would be a better choice than Pergamom.

6. Car rental from Canakkale can be very handy and allow Troy, Assos, Pergamom and Sardis in just two days in addition to some very scenic driving, possibly over Bozdag also visiting Birgi, to Selcuk. I think Miller-Rent-A-Car is a Canakkale based company and may give good rates.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM

I yield to the esteemed Gentleman from Istanbul. I, for one, avoided Izmir and stayed in Kusadasi which I found an excellent choice, easy to reach Efes. However, I felt that Bergama is so close to the Pergamom ruins in the case above. I agree that Sardis was far more interesting to me, since I had already seen the altar and gate in Berlin as I referenced.
Wouldn't you say that Risk Insurance is a more forgiving business than tour directing on Fodors, OC! Eser will, agree!