Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chelsea Flower Show - London in May. Did I do Good? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chelsea-flower-show-london-in-may-did-i-do-good-140057/)

BillJ Jan 4th, 2003 04:25 PM

Chelsea Flower Show - London in May. Did I do Good?

Impulsively, on the first day allowed, I called the number given in the web site and bought two tickets for all day Thurs May 22. The tickets arrived the other day. We had already planned a trip to London, and now I will plan the rest of the trip around this. Just wondering now though, how this might compare with other flower shows, say for instance Keukenhoff? Any thoughts out there? Any one been to the Chelsea Flower Show at the Royal Hospital in London in the spring?

uhoh Jan 4th, 2003 04:27 PM

We just missed it last year, and heard that it is extraordinary. Judging from the park gardens and home gardens we saw on numerous walks around London and Cambridge, the Chelsea Flower Show should be fabulous. These people really take gardening seriously.

mhm Jan 4th, 2003 07:25 PM

A friend and I went to the Chelsea Flower Show in 2000, and combined it with a tour in Holland, just prior to the show. Chelsea certainly is an interesting experience--especially if it is pouring rain as it was on our day to go. But we were there with 1000s of others, all making the best of it and seeing some wonderful flowers. So, be sure to take rain gear, as it can be wet. Also, during our week in London, we took two day trips, to special garden homes--Sissinghurst and also to one in the Cotswolds. Though expensive, we were satisfied with what was included and it was easier than renting a car for a couple days or going by train/bus.<BR>Can't think of the company that we used right now, but if you do a Net search for English gardens, or similar, you will probably find it. Evan Evans tours also do day-trips, so that might help you.<BR>Just for the record--the year that we went to Holland, it had been very warm the last part of April, so by the time we got to there, many tulip fields were already &quot;beheaded&quot;. The Keukenhof did have plenty of flowers, tho. This year, my friend and I went to the Floriade in Holland and that was also an &quot;interesting&quot; experience--but you will have to wait for 10 years to go to the next one.

mhm Jan 4th, 2003 07:28 PM

Just thought of the company we used for the day trips--Gentle Journeys--and they do have a web site which is quite helpful. Cheers!!

Patrick Jan 4th, 2003 07:31 PM

To follow up on the post by mhm, I believe there will be another Floriade this summer -- in Rostock, Germany this time.

Moonbeam Jan 5th, 2003 01:23 AM

You might try doing a search. Someone posted an exceptional report on the Chelsea Flower Show and other gardens . Sorry I can't rememebr the posters name, but it was most informative.

Moonbeam Jan 5th, 2003 04:25 AM

I just topped it for you <BR><BR><BR>England garden report

BillJ Jan 5th, 2003 10:25 AM

Thank you Moonbeam. Just read Carrie's report and am now looking forward to the flower show. However, at Keukenhoff, there are plenty of rest areas and a couple of decent restaurants. But at least, thanks to this board, we will be prepared.

John Jan 10th, 2003 03:51 AM

Chelsea will be absolutely fabulous provided you don't mind the crowds and that the weather is good. The crowds come because it is so very very good ofcourse, so you can't avoid that, althoughI think this year they have extended the opening dates (but not sure) so that may help. The weather...., well it is England ofcourse!!!<BR><BR><BR>The last time I went to Chlsea it was a beautiful sunny day, and we took a big sumptious picnic and a bottle of fizz. We sat by the bandstand having a marvellous time soaking up the atmosphere. This is definitely the best way to get good food and drink without paying the inflated prices in the restaurant tents. You could have a shopping trip to Harrods Food Hall or Fortnum and Masons the day before to buy some treats.<BR><BR>I do allow myself to buy a (plastic) glass of Pimms from one of the stalls though - its a longstanding Chelsea tradition. At least the money helps to keep the Royal Horticultural Society going! <BR><BR>If you are a lover of English gardens then you should also try to visit the &quot;Garden of England&quot; which has Sissinghurst, Pashley Manor, Great Dixter, Scotney Castle and many other lovely parks and gardens, all just a few miles apart on the Kent and Sussex borders. Cranbrook, very close to Sissinghurst would be a good place to stay.<BR><BR>I can also recommend the RHS garden at Wisley and Beth Chatto's garden in Essex.<BR><BR>Happy garden visits!