Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Cheeeeese on Eurostar ? (can we bring it?)

Cheeeeese on Eurostar ? (can we bring it?)

May 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Cheeeeese on Eurostar ? (can we bring it?)

Okay - this might be a silly question, but ...

I know when we have flown from France to the US in the past, they didn't lik us bringing some of that yummy cheese home with us.

My 7 yr old and I love good cheese, so I expect we'll be buying and eating it frequently in Paris. We are likely to have a bit left at the end of the week, and would probably like to take it for a snack.

We will be taking the Eurostar from Paris to London. I imagine that there is no probalem bringing it, but I just gotta know ...

Is it okay to bring cheese (and other food stuff) on board the Eurostar, or are there import restrictions that don't allow this?

(And, yes, we know there is good cheese in London, too). Hoping to find some Stinking Bishop.
May 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Yes you may bring food on trains.
May 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze

Nice to know there is no import problem with that, like when we fly home.

May 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Well gosh, I hope I'm not steering you wrong. But I sure have never heard of anything like that.

You could always eat it quickly (just kidding).
May 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Just don't "cut the cheese" on the train.
May 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

It was just one of those annoying little 4 am thoughts in my brain. You know - once I figure out most anything I can about a trip, I get down to the really out there remaining obscure questions.

I should have tried stuffing that spare cheese into my mouth at SFO! Probably would have had to wrestle the sniffing Beagle for it, 'though!
May 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM

And be assured there is good cheese in UK - even the same French stuff you'll be hauling over. Neal's Yard Dairy in Borough Market is known all over the world for its fine UK cheeses.

The French don't have a lock on the cheese market. When in Rome....
May 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Neal's Yard dairy IN Neal's Yard (near Covent Garden)would be a good place to start looking for cheese in London (better selection than than at Borough Market)

But even the cheese counters in Harrod's and Fortnum & Mason will have lots of yummy choices. As for bringing cheeses from France - you are staying w/i the EU so no customs issues.
May 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Who didn't like it when you tried to fly home with cheese from France in the past? There's a Duty Free store at CDG that sells all manner of cheese for people heading home to the US and other places from France!

Yes, you can bring cheese or whatever else your heeart desires on the Eurostar or any train.
May 10th, 2007, 02:54 AM

Even if it is permitted, I think you should exercise some restraint about bringing cheese on trains or planes. Anybody who likes Stinking Bishop is a candidate for liking things like Pont l'Eveque and Livarot. They do smell! It would be unfair to other passenges to bring it in any other than a fully sealed pack. Don't take left over portions in wax paper.
May 10th, 2007, 03:01 AM

I got berated by passengers on an Aer Lingus flight to Brussels as I had a big stash of Cooleeney or Ardrahan or some other stinker. The smell was shocking. I spent the whole flight apologising saying "It's not me - its cheese"
May 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM

I'd rather bring the French cheese with me to London than pay Fortnum & Mason's prices for a replacement (and they may not have what you want anyway...I love chevre camembert, tried to get it 3 times at F&M's, and each time they said they were awaiting a delivery).
Note: If you're riding first class on Eurostar, you may very well be served a cheese plate. Had one last week and it was quite good, a nice selection.
May 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM

There are two Neal's Yard Dairy in London. The main shop on Neal's Yard, and the branch in Borough Market. If you're visiting during the warm months, you don't need a direction. You can smell the store 100yards away. ;-)

No liquid restriction on Eurostar. So you may want to bring some wine to enjoy with the cheese (you're not going to drink just water with cheese,are you?). I also recommend bringing a few extra ziplock bags to contain the smell and "oozing" content.
May 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Lawchick, are you now persuaded that ziplock bags have a proper place in this world of ours?
May 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Whats wrong with an old sock for wrapping cheese in? Ziploc me eye.
May 10th, 2007, 04:46 AM

There is no problem bringing cheese back to the US. I declare it every time and they look at me as if "So?". You can bring in what you want for your personal use.
May 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM

Choose a type of cheese that isn't too stinky... ;-)
May 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
ira

>Who didn't like it when you tried to fly home with cheese from France in the past?<

Probably Customs.

Most raw milk cheeses, especially the soft gooey kind, are not permitted.

Hard cheeses, Regiano Parmigiano, are usually permitted.

What is acceptable can vary depending on FDA concerns and the particular agent.

May 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM

My husband and I took a very stinky cheese from Paris to London a few years back, and had no problem. We even flew home with it and when the customs guy in San Diego opened the bag and smelled what was inside, he just laughed and let us go.

Search this Thread