Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Checked through baggage and Customs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/checked-through-baggage-and-customs-611360/)

jabarat Apr 28th, 2006 08:10 AM

Checked through baggage and Customs

I need some information regarding checked through baggage and customs.

My outbound leg is as follows:

DFW to EWR on CO – EWR to FCO on AZ – FCO to FLR on AZ.

The return leg is:

FLR to CDG on AF – CDG to IAH on AF – IAH to DFW on CO.

My real concern is on the outbound leg. CO (telephone agent) says I can check my baggage from DFW through to FLR. Assuming this is true, it has occurred to me that I will have to clear customs in Rome (FCO). In order to do this I will need my baggage. I assume I will retrieve my baggage, go through customs and then return it to AZ outside of customs as it will already be checked through to FLR. Hopefully this is the case as I would rather not drag it with me to AZ’s FCO domestic terminal.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this at FCO?

The return leg has the same problem (assuming a check through from FLR to DFW) but I can understand what is happening at IAH.

I will also post this question in the Airline form so if you see it twice please excuse me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ira Apr 28th, 2006 08:14 AM

Hi J,

Based on my own experience, you will collect your baggage in Florence. That is where you clear Customs - walk through the "Nothing to Declare" exit.

You might have to go through Passport Control in Rome, but you might do that in Florence, too.

((I))

lincasanova Apr 28th, 2006 08:21 AM

in europe you will go through IMMIGRATION, ( not to be confused with CUSTOMS) at first port of entry.This is where you will show your passport and filled out landing card.

Then, your bags will pass customs, (very simple "green or red" exit) at your final destination.

however, in the states, one passes both immigration AND customs at port of entry, requiring collecting the bags and taking them to another check-in counter or belt for the continuation of transport even when tagged.

jabarat Apr 28th, 2006 08:27 AM

Ira and lincasanova - thank you both for your prompt response. As usual for the Fodor's Board the answers are concise and clear.

You have made my day.

Thanks

alanRow Apr 28th, 2006 09:30 AM

"in europe you will go through IMMIGRATION, ( not to be confused with CUSTOMS) at first port of entry"

Em, not correct. It depends if both countries are a member of Schengen or not.

If one or both isn't a Schengen country then you'll stay airside & just pass through security for your next flight.

If both are Schengen countries then you will have to pass through immigration at the 1st point of entry.

You also will pass through immigration at your 1st point of entry if you arrive in the UK & are continuing to Ireland or vice versa.

so for example if you are are flying to Germany (Schengen) via Switzerland (not Schengen), you'll pass through immigration when you reach Germany but if you go to Germany via France (both Schengen) you'll pass through immigration in France

lincasanova Apr 28th, 2006 12:38 PM

i was referring to her personal itinerary.

daisy58 Apr 29th, 2006 08:26 PM

we land initally from San Francisco to Munich, the transfer on to Genoa. So will we then go through immigration in Munich, but collect our luggage and go through customs in Genoa?? BTW, we leave in just 9 days, and I am SO EXCITED!!!!

alanRow Apr 30th, 2006 12:27 AM

Generally your luggage would be checked through to Genoa.

ira Apr 30th, 2006 09:19 AM

ttt

lincasanova Apr 30th, 2006 03:41 PM

when you arrive in munich, you will go through immigration/passport control ( from my personal experience, this is how it has been for me when coming from the USA and continuing on to another EU country).

then you will collect baggage at final destination and pass through a self sevice type of customs, proceeding through the red or green door, with agents standing by in case they don't agree with your decision.

jabarat May 25th, 2006 01:44 PM

Thought I would post an update on my checked through baggage experience.

Basically, all went as was suggested from DFW to Florence. CO checked them all the way to Florence and they all arrived. Did not have to deal with them in Rome. Was a little concerned about this as Rome to Florence was an internal flight. Thought it strange that all of the baggage on the Rome to Florence flight arrived at the same claim area. I assume there was a customs station in Florence but did not notice it.

On the return from FLR to DFW all again went as suggested (claiming bags and clearing customs in Houston, placing bags on conveyer outside of customs to be routed to onward flight) and all bags arrived at final destination.

Thanks for the help.

alanRow May 25th, 2006 03:12 PM

<<<Thought it strange that all of the baggage on the Rome to Florence flight arrived at the same claim area. I assume there was a customs station in Florence but did not notice it.>>>

Your bags will have been inspected by customs at Rome when they came from a flight outside of Schengen

WestonTraveler Jun 1st, 2006 08:45 PM

What is Schengen?

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 1st, 2006 09:35 PM

http://www.eurovisa.info/SchengenCountries.htm