Wales- B&B near but not too near to Newport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to go to the Ryder Cup in September/October 2010. We will be going to the tournament only one day, so don't want to necessarily stay in Newport. We would like someplace close enough to take public transporation to the tournament, but be away from the crowds, if that is possible.

I've been trying to figure out on a map where a good place to stay for three days, but its difficult to figure out where would be practical for Newport. We like the outdoors and history..

I've been looking at these areas for accomodations:

Abercarn
Grosmont in Monnow Valley
Tintern in Wye Valley
Monmouth

I am open for suggestions! Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM

You could try this place from "Special Places to Stay":

http://www.mertonhall.co.uk
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Is is possible there are two Newports in Wales? MertonHall looks lovely, but I think it may be far.

In any event, I am going to check it out. Pembrokeshire is on the list too.

Thanks Londonres
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
ron

Yes, there are 2 Newports. The one in Pembrokeshire is a tiny place. The one near the Ryder Cup site is a city of 150,000. It is often designated Newport (Gwent), although the county of Gwent no longer exists.

I have no ideas for your B&B. But I do know that public transport from places like Tintern and Monmouth and Grosmount is not very good - think buses every two hours, no evening service, etc.

I think you'd want to be on a train line. You may want to look at places like Chepstow or Cwmbran or Pontypool.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ron, I will look up those places.

Alternatively, we will have a car and could drive to a train station to get to Newport. That is the only leg of the trip where we want to use public transport.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM

Reillygee, did you notice that another Fodorite (I assume_ posted a few months ago about where to stay for that event? There's a URL in one of the replies for a website specifically aimed at connecting Ryder Cup attendees with lodging.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-sept-2010.cfm
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Tahl,

Thanks for the info. I checked the website and it seems to be for house rentals for the entire tournament, which is not for us. We would like a B&B and are just going one day to the tournment. Ideally we would like to leave the area as soon as we see the tournament.

But thanks for the effort. Always nice to read other trip reports. Doesn't seem there are many that include Wales.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM

We're leaving this Tues, 29th for a two week England/South Wales trip. 6 or 7 days in each......driving rental car. We're staying one night in Chepstow (Tinturn), then down through Newport and over toward Swansea., Tenby, St. Davids, Brecon etc. I'll be on the lookout in the Newport area ....Distances aren't too far. When the OPen was in St. Andrews many B&B's and even private homes were used for accommodations, and I would think 2 nights would not be out of the question in the Newport area.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
reillygee: "<i> . . . . it seems to be for house rentals for the entire tournament, which is not for us. We would like a B&B and are just going one day to the tournment. . . . .</i>"

You may have trouble finding a place for just one night. For prime events (the Open, Ryder Cup, etc.) most places will have at least a 2 night minimum, or even 3 nights - and higher rates than normal.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Mari5 and Janisj:

I tried posting a reply and I think I lost it. I apologize if this is repetitive.

Thank you both for your input.

Mari5 - Your trip itinery is similar to what we were thinking of doing. We want to include Snowdonia too. So I will be anxious to read your trip report and appreciate any hints/insights you will be able to provide.

Janisj - I don't think I made it clear that we are going to the tournament for one day, but will stay in the area for 3 days. Hopefully that will help with our accomodations and perhaps get us a 'little' discount on the higher rates.

We are looking for a B&B within driving distance. I've been looking at places with current prices ranges of about L50-65.

Thanks again
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I think we have decided to stay in Abergavenny. Has anyone ever stayed at Part-Y-Seal B&B?

We thought the town was not too far from Newport. It looks like a half hour drive and is also near the Brecon Beacons Park.

If anyone has recommendations for the area, I'd love to hear them. We are hoping to do some hiking and see historical sites - if they are outside all the better.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
During our trip to Wales in April, we walked from Tintern Abbey to Chepstow Castle. It's a scenic route, but unfortunately when we did it repair work on the trail diverted us to the road for the last two miles.

Here's the link to my report. Scroll down to the middle of the entry on May 4 for the beginning of the information on Wales.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-wales.cfm
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Part-y-Seal is near Grosmont and in a very rural and attractive part of Britain. Michelin gives a travel time of 48 minutes to Newport, and although the road from Monmouth to Newport is dual carriageway and fast, the country roads from Grosmont to Monmouth are narrow with plenty of bends. You will therefore need to allow adequate time.

There is a ruined castle in Grosmont, with other ruined castles nearby at Skenfrith and the White Castle, all worth visiting. There are a surprising number of good eating places in the area.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Fra-Diavolo,

I'm going to add the Tintern Abbey to Chepstow walk to my list of things to do.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Chartley,

AA gives the time as about 30 minutes, but we planned on doubling that time to make sure. The area sounds lovely from what I have read, so glad to hear it confirmed here.

Any suggestions for eating? We are vegetarians.

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

The only michelin star restaurant in Wales is the Crown at whitebrook which is about 4 miles from Tintern they also do rooms but are probably already full. My wife is vegetarian and they have always done well at catering for her.
As my Aunt lives in Chepstow I haven't used the local B&B's St Briavels is another nice village on the edge of the wye valley. Leaving the car in Chepstow and using public transport to Celtic Manor sounds a good plan
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Mike 320,

I appreciate the reply.

I have already found that some B&Bs are waiting to see if they can rent out their entire place for the tournament, rather than individual rooms. That's why I thought a little farther out might work better for us.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. Its always good to hear from a vegetarian [ or her husband ] as most people tend to think that as long as there is one vegetarian item, we'll be fine. But after traveling in Ireland years ago and having pasta primavera for days on end,I've now learned to research places before we go.