Check out this hotel in Venice

Mar 26th, 2001, 08:48 AM
joy

Check out this hotel in Venice

I wanted to make mention of a hotel I found out about on the Grand Canal in Venice near the Rialto Bridge. It's called Locanda Leon Bianco and they gave me a rate of 230,000 ($130 US) for a double room per night facing the Grand Canal for the last weekend in September. They aren't listed with all these sites we might be accustomed to with all our hotel searches, but it looks very nice and they were incredibly nice about the booking. the site is www.leonbianco.it
I hope everyone at least looks into it and let me know what you find out about it. After sanCassiano asked for 500,000 lire per night in September's high season I panicked. The best part is that they are almost directly across from them! Wish me luck and I wish everyone the best of travels.

Mar 26th, 2001, 10:49 AM
sandi

You're kidding...right? That the hotel that's been talked about the last 6 months on this forum. It's a great place, with many recommendations from people using this board.

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:35 PM
joy

Wow! I didn't realize Everyone knew about this hotel! But now I see that many references are made to it (mostly before the start of the year). I've only been using this site for the past two months or so, so I haven't read all the posts. Anyway the crowe is particularly good tonight so I don't mind eating it! Happy trails!

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Rex

Just so you keep the "reviews" here straight, there is also a Leon Bianco in San Gimignano (and I wouldn't be surprised if this same name appears in other cities in Italy), which has received some favorable comments.

And this is NOT meant to throw cold water on your choice, but every price has a reason. I think that Locanda Leon bianco might be one of those hotels that - - for reasons of city codes that regulate renovations and historic authenticity - - has no elevator. I cannot find documentation of this fact, but I think that it is true.

It might not be important to you, but for some guests, it is a basis for lowering the "rating' of the hotel.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Joy! My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Leon Bianco in Venice in early March. I found a lot of useful information on it on this forum from people like Sandi. For $130-140 dollars (280,000 lira) you indeed get a lovely room with big French windows that open to the Grand Canal. They bring a continental breakfast to your room every morning, and yoiu can eat it while watching all the activity in the Grand Canal. The staff is indeed very nice. Andrea speaks both English and Spanish very well.

Just to clarify, what Rex says is true also. They have no elevator, so you have to schlep your luggage 2 flights upstairs. The showers are a little uncomfortable...you have to hop to get into them. And the entrance is less than inviting - you go through a scary gate and then you see the door to the building with a buzzer, and they buzz you in. This is the type of place I would probably not take my mom, with ostheoarthritis in her knees, but it is a perfect place to go for a romantic jaunt in Venice with your husband. I also checked the prices for Grand Canal-view rooms at other hotels that offered additional amenities (like elevator) and their prices were ridiculous. Overall, it was great value for Venice.

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:17 AM
lorraine

Ditto to the above. I just posted practically the same response to another question. We enjoyed our stay there in November and it was well worth the money...the above exceptions noted.

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:31 AM

For the question about it

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Mariarosa

Topping for Yeung!