Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Check my itinerary for Northern Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/check-my-itinerary-for-northern-italy-961197/)

dervin17 Jan 2nd, 2013 02:08 PM

Check my itinerary for Northern Italy?

Milan (arrive 7:30am) 3/29-31 2 nts Hotel Berno Milano
½ day City tour-Last Supper/Duomo 3/30

Milan to Lake Como 1hr
Lake Como 3/31-4/7 7 nts Argegno Stone House

Lake Como to Tirano 2hrs
Tirano 4/7-9 2 nts Hotel Centrale
Train to St. Moritz from Tirano 4/8

Tirano to Breassone 3 ½ hrs
Breassnone 4/9-11 2 nts Hotel Elephant

Bressnone to Asolo 2hrs 45
Asolo 4/11-14 3 nts Hotel Duse

Asolo to Bologna 2hrs
Bologna 4/14-17 3nts Abergo Al Cappello Rosso
Alessandro's Food Experience 4/15 all day tour

Bologna to Lucca 1 ½ hrs
Lucca 4/17-19 2nts Alla Corte Degli Angeli

Outside Lucca 4/19-26 7 nts Holiday Apts. Maggiano

Fly out of Florence to London late afternoon 4/26

nytraveler Jan 2nd, 2013 02:17 PM

Seems kind of early in the year for Como. Have you checked what is open and running?

And the very north might still be cold - some of the alpine passes don't open until June due to snow.

And I assume you have a car for the facility outside Lucca (have you checked how far outside it is - and what facilities it is near)?

goldenautumn Jan 2nd, 2013 02:22 PM

It looks to me like you have already booked all these 7 night stays and your food tour. Or are you still open to changes?

If so, I don't think springtime is an ideal time for Bressanone. I don't think you need 2 nights inside Lucca if you are spending 7 nights just outside Lucca.

I would eliminate both and give those 4 days all to Bologna so you have time to see Ravenna, Parma, Modena, Ferrara and Verona if you feel like it. If Albergo al Cappello Rosso isn't offering you an apartment with a kitchen, I suggest you switch to 7 nights in an an apartment rental in Bologna. I also suggest you take a pasta-making class in Bologna.

I would certainly want to rent a car for 7 nights outside of Lucca.

ekc Jan 2nd, 2013 03:01 PM

Glad to see someone spending some time in the charming town of Asolo! We spent 3 nights there are loved it. A lovely young woman gave us a guided tour of a couple of the gardens in town (she is a professional tour guide) and I can dig out her card if you would like. The owner of Cafe Centrale also makes award-winning olive oil, so be sure to check it out!

dervin17 Jan 2nd, 2013 03:32 PM

Thanks everyone. May make a few changes. Yes, we have a car. Lake Como and Lucca both have kitchens. The apt outside Lucca is only about 15 minutes. The reason I did this was so we would not have to pay for parking during our visits to Lucca. The hotel provides it. We are very flexible and love to drive the backroads. As long as we have a place to stay and food to eay (also wine to drink) we are happy. I may add another night in Bologna and do the pasta making class.

bobthenavigator Jan 2nd, 2013 03:52 PM

What a lovely trip, but I wish it were a month later. The real variable is the weather---I wish you well.

HappyTrvlr Jan 2nd, 2013 06:34 PM

Why Argegno on Lake Como? We went there once and left as there wasn't much to it.

dervin17 Jan 2nd, 2013 06:47 PM

It's a cute stone cottage on the mountain. We have a car and plan on taking the ferries to the others little towns. We don't need a lot of entertainment.