Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Check in with easyJet (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/check-in-with-easyjet-616577/)

hernanc2002 May 18th, 2006 09:09 AM

Check in with easyJet

Hello,

First of all, I'm not used to fly so this may be a silly question but sorry.

Well, let's go,

I have a fly with easyJet from London to Madrid that departs 07:40 from Gatwick.

In the web page says that check-in finalize half an hour before the depart (07:10) but some people told me to be there at 05:40 that is when the check-in opens. Now, the question:

Is it necesary to be at 05:40. What are the posibilities for missing the flight if I'm at check-in e.g. at 06:45.

Thanks a lot!!!

grsing May 18th, 2006 09:29 AM

As long as you are actually checking in on time (not in line, but at the desk and done before 0710), you won't be shut out of the flight. However, the earlier you check in, the higher seating group you get, thus the more selection of seats you have once you're on the plane. Plus you can't be sure that the train doesn't break down or pull into the wrong platform or something and have that delay you and cause you to miss the flight, so some cushion is good.

WillTravel May 18th, 2006 09:31 AM

There could be a long lineup if you arrive at 6:45, and so it would be possible not to get checked in, and thus not make the flight.

alanRow May 18th, 2006 09:33 AM

"What are the posibilities for missing the flight if I'm at check-in e.g. at 06:45"

That would give you 35 minutes to a) find the checkin desk & b) stand in a queue. Knock a few minutes off that for missing the train or going to the wrong terminal & pretty soon you are wondering if your CC will stand the cost of a later flight

surfmom May 18th, 2006 09:33 AM

I think the implication above is that you need to have completed check-in by 7:10, not be in line for check-in.

I would give yourself more time than arriving at 6:45.

Mucky May 18th, 2006 09:45 AM

I think it is important to understand the way Easy Jet operate.
1, Boarding is done based on the number on your boarding pass, groups of around 40 to 50 are invited to board. With the first group being those that checked in first...and so on....This avoids a total free for all as seats are not allocated.

2. Check in closes exactly on schedule, it doesn't matter if the flight is delayed or hasn't even arrived.
3.This means that even if you are waiting in the queue (line) to check in at close time you will be shut out.
That's even if it's their fault, no discretion; they close.

4.If your not through check in then forget it. Even if the flight is half full you will not be allowed through.

So with this in mind,if you arrive at 6:45 you could be lucky, or you could be at the back of a long queue, which could all get through, depending upon how many check in desks open.
Or you could still be half way up the line when they close the check in, hopefully unlikely, but possible, I have seen it happen.

So when I travel Easy Jet I always try to get there either before check in opens, or within 15-20 mins.

This is how they operate and how they keep the costs down.

Good luck

Muck

hernanc2002 May 18th, 2006 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try to be at the check-in as soon as posible.

The problem is that I'm thinking to take the South Central that is 45 minutes and it departs from Victoria Station. So, doing mathematics, I should be at Victoria at 04:40 aprox.

Is Hyde park near Victoria Station? (I think I will be in a hostel near Hyde Park)

grsing May 18th, 2006 09:56 AM

Hyde Park isn't all that far from Victoria, if you're at the near corner (it's a very large park). If you're at the far corner, it'll be a bus ride (too early for tube) or an expensive taxi.

hernanc2002 May 18th, 2006 10:03 AM

Ok, now I'm thinking to do some walking at night and then going to a pub near Victoria and wait there till 04:00 instead of paying a hostel for that night.

Are pubs open at that hour and is it safe to walk?

Mucky May 18th, 2006 10:11 AM

"Are pubs open at that hour and is it safe to walk?"

Unlikely and No

Muck

grsing May 18th, 2006 10:12 AM

Pubs aren't, they usually close at 11 or 12, clubs are, but that won't happen with your bags and stuff. One option is to just sleep at Gatwick; lots of people do it to get those early flights (I did it in Luton for a Ryanair at 0710). Not the best nights' sleep you'll ever get, but it's free and pretty safe (just use your bag as a pillow and lock or put zip ties or something on the zipper, not a big deal). Safer than Victoria at that hour for sure.

hernanc2002 May 18th, 2006 10:22 AM

Thank you very much to all for the replies!!! I'll sleep in Gatwick :-)

The last one: Don't you suggest doing some walk in London at night at 01:00 aprox. near Victoria. Isn't it safe?

grsing May 18th, 2006 11:01 AM

Walking around almost anywhere in London at 1 am is kind of sketchy (in varying degrees, to be sure, depending on where you are), particularly alone. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go out, by any means, just be sensible (or get lucky, I managed to walk home from Covent Garden to my dorm in Camberwell via some quite rough neighborhoods with no problems besdies getting very lost, but I was lucky, wouldn't recommend it).

grsing May 18th, 2006 11:02 AM

I don't want to give the impression that London is unsafe, just that it's a major city, and is as safe as any other big city in a developed country, provided you take the proper precautions.