Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

check-in luggage -- train travel--munich to frankfurt

Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I am travelling from USA to India and have a break in Munich. I have 5 big suitcases. Can I travel from Munich to Frankfurt on train with such luggage ? Can I check in luggage at train station? Can anyone advise me if they have used such a facility at munich station? On which train?
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM

>I have 5 big suitcases.

You alone? How do you transport them elsewhere?

>Can I travel from Munich to Frankfurt on train with such luggage ?

If you manage to get them all into the train - yes.

>Can I check in luggage at train station? Can anyone advise me if they have used such a facility at munich station? On which train?

Check in like on a plane? No, it isnīt done any more.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM

from your other thread it seems there are 4 people and 5 suitcases. If so, and each person handles their own bags it shouldn't be too bad. But hopefully the suitcaes aren't HUGE because you'll have to carry them up on to the train, and back down when you get aoof.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM

" . . .and back down when you get off."
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

OK...a corollary to my question....as an alternative,

How expensive is it to rent one-way minivan between munich and Frankfurt?

How tricky is it to drive on the highways in Germany (for someone who has accident-free continuous driving experience in USA (only) for the past 20 years?
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:48 AM

WHAAAAAAA T???????
You are carting that luggage into the airport and checking it.

You are retrieving it from the luggage carousel at the Munich airport...

and now when somebody tells you that you might have to actually carry it onto a train you suddenly want to rent a van?

Nuts, Baby..
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

The whole story ...
Family of four ...breaking journey in Munich on way to India... Staying in Munich for 5 days...proceeding to Frankfurt for 3 days and then onway to India with 5 suitcases.

Chickened initially to drive on German Highways, so planned for train travel between munich and frankfurt.

What is the best option ... train or rent minivan?

Problem on train ? -- luggage hauling....Problem renting minivan ? Driving first time in Europe but have 20 yrs driving experience in USA

Jun 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM

>How tricky is it to drive on the highways in Germany

The traffic is much denser and moves at higher speeds.
You are jet-laged and tired.
These are the probems with driving.
I donīt understand what the problem with the train is. After all you will have got the luggage to the airport in the USA, and you will transport the stuff somehow through India (which will be probably far more inconvenient than either USA or Germany).
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM

If you can carry the luggage normally, take the train. There is usually some storage area near the exit but you will have to sit close enough to keep an eye on it.

http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: FRA Frankfurt Airport

This site will help you find train schedules. There is an ICE (high speed) leaving about every half hour during the day. The trip takes about 3.5 hours.

If you want to save money on the train trip by taking slower connections, it becomes a bit more complicated. On the site change "means of transportation" from "standard search" to "local transportation only". You can usually get there with 3 connections.

To save money, you can use a single Bayern-Ticket group ticket (29 euros) for all 4 of you for as long as you stay in Bavaria (past Würzburg) and then only pay individual fares beyond that point. The ticket agent or information desk in the Munich train station can help you sort that out.

Regards, Gary
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Well, you could have a flurry of activity and confusion getting onto and off of the train with your luggage. But it's not a life altering experience.