Cheapest way to get to Prague

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest way to get to Prague

I have a week at the end of August to myself as my parents are taking my 4 year old to the Isle of Wight
I'd like to visit Prague as have never been, am interested in Jewish History of which Prague has plenty and have long wanted to visit Thereseinstadt and acknowledge its the last place to take a small child

I've found somewhere to stay! But am looking for suggestions on the cheapest way of getting there, if possible i'd like to not fly (nice to see some of Europe!) would be nice to compare train travel in the US and Europe. I don't drive so car is not an option.. have looked at Eurostar (to Brussels) and Rail Europe but got a bit lost after that so thought would be best to come ask on here
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM

skyscanner.net econo euro air booked in advance will be cheapest

seat61.com for train connexions from LON kind of a long slog

and not cheap...

www.eurolines.com very cheapest usually xport of last resort

for me a real grunge ok if superbudget/backpacking

eurocheapo.com great city guides

Have fun,
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM

I think you should reconsider flying. The quickest train is 14 hours each way. That's 2 complete days out of the week you have. The bus would take even longer.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

From looking at the prices i think i'll be flying also, although still tempted to take the train one way if only for the experience! I've just got back from taking the train coast to coast across the US quite fond of the train now
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Have now decided to fly, had the airmiles and the train was really going to stretch my budget sadly maybe next time when i havent just been to the US for 3 and a half weeks!
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM

just noticed your screen name ,did you know there is a Fred and Ginger building in Prague also know more commonly as the Dancing Building.
http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=651
just thought you might be interested.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
fredandgingermad - glad you decided to fly - it's a lot cheaper than the train, even without airmiles!

When we went a few years ago, we ere on quite a tight budget too, and stayed here:

http://www.central-prague.com/

it's calling itself a "boutique" hotel now, but its main selling point is its position - it really is very central and near virtually everything. it would be difficult to do better for the price - and i see on TA that there are some good deals going at the moment.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

unclegus - i did know about the Dancing House, but had forgotten up to now so thanks for the reminder!

annhig - i'm still hoping one day to take the train if only for the experience! My sister and her friends did it because my sister refuses to fly and it sounded much more exciting than flying I'm staying at Prague Hostel Downtown while i'm in Prague, as i'm travelling solo and reasonably young lol, plus hosteling international has been reasonably good in the past
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM

YOu must have taken trains before, what experience are you looking for? I gather you live in the UK, haven't you taken many trains in your lifetime?
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I've only taken trains in Switzerland and Poland in Europe and only for day trips, would be nice to compare overnight trains in Europe and the US

As for the UK i travel frequently by train, but prefer it generally to plane travel as i suffer ear ache on descent :/
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
fredandginger - i like trains too. but for long journeys, especially when you are going for a short time, they struggle to compete on price and convenience.

that said, we did a 3 day trip to Paris starting from Wales and ending in Cornwall via eurostar, and i loved every minute of it. plus the timings and costs weren't much worse than going by plane.

Hope that your daughter and her grandparents enjoy the Isle of Wight!
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

We took the the train everywhere in the US because it was much cheaper, less stressful and i love Amtrak Plus we got to see so much more of America than we'd have seen if we'd flown everywhere
But in Europe, normally unless it's Paris/Brussels i find it easier to fly because its normally much cheaper..