Cheapest way from Manchester to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 6 of us traveling. We are checking out possibilities of flights into and out of the UK. Some are coming from Jacksonville, some from Miami.

One possibility is flying JAX to MIA to London, and then a separate (low cost) flight to Edinburgh.

The second possibility is to fly MIA to Chicago, and JAX to Chicago, then Chicago to Manchester. Plane, train, or bus to Edinburgh? Which would be least cost/least time/more enjoyable? From my research, it looks like a 5 hour train trip would be best overall.

Flying back, 4 of us would go back to Manchester, and fly to Jacksonville. The other 2 of us will be in London for the last part of the trip, and will fly directly to Miami.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM

www.flybe.com

Some of their flights between MAN and EDI are free but taxes and fees add up to ~$40 per person.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it comes to about $150 including taxes per person on the days we would be traveling (£81). Fast though! I wonder - is 3 hours worth $70? Looks like the train would be about $80. Sigh - six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM

There was a money savings programme on the UK TV Channel 5 recently and travel costs were highlighted because there are so many fare quotes etc. The expert has found out that there are numerous ways to undercut the train / travel fares as common sense does apparently not work with train companies.
It may be of interest for you and anyone else intending to visit the UK and wanting to reduce costs to look at the website
www.moneysavingexpert.com
For those specifically looking for cheaper train fares then look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-train-tickets
Their item initially sounds complicated as you will probably have to use their guide www.transportdirect.info but I have just done a quick check from Manchester Airport to Edinburgh using their suggestions and find that this can cut the cheapest cost to £20 per person per journey.
It does involve a train change taking the transpennine train from Manchester Airport to Preston and then the Virgin Train from Preston directly to Edinburgh. It can, depending on train timetables, add from 20 to the journey.
If the advanced ticket cannot be purchased then the price rises but I am sure that you can play around with the journey to get a cheap price but the savings could be well worth it for 6 people.
It is worth bookmarking as there are benefits to be gained.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Why do you have to travel on the same flights - why not book JAX to EDN and MIA to EDN or whatever combination makes more sense. It strikes me you are making it more difficult by insiting on flying Transatlantic together

Single train fares from London (note not Heathrow) to Edinburgh start at around £14 plus the £4 cost of getting from Heathrow to Kings Cross so going via London may not be more expensive than going to Manchester
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree - everyone should just book the best schedules/fares they can get. Whether it is in to Edinburgh, or Glasgow, or Manchester -- or London even. And then all meet up in Edinburgh.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM

BMI have fares starting at around £30 inc taxes - www.flybmi.com
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

This particular group of tickets (which we haven't decided for certain on) must be on AA or AA Express only - so traveling to London or Manchester are the only options. Don't HAVE to travel together, but it won't cost any more to travel together.

I'm trying to find the best combination of travel options. This is just one set... I am trying to balance time, cost, segments, etc. I really don't, for instance, want to spend a whole day traveling via train from London to Edinburgh if I don't have to. That's valuable vacation time

I see that summer prices are beginning to inch down, so this may not end up being as decent a deal as it looks like now. Right now, the flights into either London or Manchester would be $820 total, including taxes, for each person (regardless of origin), for June travel. A lot better than the $1200 pp they are elsewhere, but then we have to add on the subsequent costs and time.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i> really don't, for instance, want to spend a whole day traveling via train from London to Edinburgh if I don't have to.</i>&quot;

I agree, if one lands at LHR - taking the train up to Edinburgh doesn't make much sense. I meant looking at London for best fares/connections and <b>IF</b> that works out, to book a cheap flight to EDI right from LHR approx 2.5 - 3 hours after your arrival time.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM

The cheapest way must be MegaBus. I doubt it's the most enjoyable, though.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I meant the best combo of price/time/convenience, silly

Yeah, flying from London to Edinburgh seems the best option if we go the London route. Then again, the Manchester route is better in terms of timing.

And then again, we could scrap the AA deal and go with Continental or some other airline. Might even get a direct flight out of it

We'll see how things work out. Too many options!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Flying direct will save a lot of time and trouble.

The Megabus is a good suggestion by Will Travel but they impose luggage restrictions
i.e Passengers are advised that megabus.com will accept only one piece of luggage per passenger weighing no more than 20kg and no larger than the size of a standard suitcase. Passengers can also take on board one piece of hand luggage up to the size of a small to medium sized hold-all. megabus.com cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate any excess baggage and passengers who bring along excess baggage may be refused travel.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM

Yes, the bus is cheapest but will probably be horrible.

From either Heathrow or Manchester by far the simplest option is to fly - I'd check fares but almost invariably find bmi the cheapest on both routes.

This is for June isn't it, GD ? It is rather late to book for the cheapest prices by air but probably still not bad with bmi. Train fares usually go on sale 3 months in advance &amp; IME you need crackerjack timing to get the cheapest fares.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM

P.S. Manchester is easier to pass through than Heathrow.

P.P.S. Would it make any sense at all to fly via New York ? There are direct flights to Edinburgh from JFK with Delta &amp; from Newark with Continental. Sorry if this is precluded by the AA requirement - I'm not quite clear on whether that applies to all of your party or not.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

AA is an option we may or may not take. If not, then all other options are open.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm really leaning towards the all-plane itinerary