Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Flight to London from the East Coast?

Oct 14th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Marie

What is everyone paying for airfare these days? What airlines? Specifically from the Washington DC area but the East Coast will be fine. My friend says they got one recently from United for $310. Whereas Virgin and British airways is quoting me fares of $1000.

Oct 14th, 2001, 09:07 PM
zz-top

Marie:

Just looked on the American Airlines website and saw a fare from New York's JFK to London Heathrow for $292. Of course, that's subject to certain restrictions, etc. etc. Here's a portion of what's needed to qualify:

3-day advance purchase required. (7-day to Europe and the UK)
3-day minimum stay required. (Saturday night for Europe and UK)
30 day maximum stay. (60 day for Mexico and South America)
Travel is valid through March 14, 2002.
Travel to Europe and Mexico is not valid December 14 - 24, 2001.

And if American's offering this fare, then probably Delta & United will match if they fly out/to same markets.

Your best bet to get an overview of all airlines is to check on the Orbitz website. http://www.orbitz.com

Oct 15th, 2001, 05:34 AM
pete

when comparing fares to the U.K, make sure you know whether the fare includes taxes or not. Into Heathrow, taxes can be between $80-90 per person, which can make a big difference on $300 airfares.

Oct 15th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Shanna

US Air is having a sale for winter flights to Europe; my recollection was cheap-o to London. Check their site.

Oct 15th, 2001, 07:39 AM
xxx

Try searching Orbitz. I looked out of Boston andfound $325 round trip for next week (!).

Oct 15th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Ann

I got $388 (including taxes) on BA out of Dulles (to LHR) just after Christmas. Found it through Orbitz.

Oct 15th, 2001, 04:33 PM
mARIE

Thanks everyone for your help. Ann I will definatly look into your deal (even though I said I would never use BritishAirways after reading Richard Branson's book on what they did to him). Happy and safe traveling to everyone.

Oct 15th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Novice

What did they do to Richard Branson?

Here is another question to anyone: Will you find cheaper fares on british airlines or American carriers? What about Iceland Air?

Oct 17th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Marie

Novice, I had a feeling someone would ask me that question. I wish I were like others on this web site and could remember he said she said, which bus route etc but I can't. The jest of it was about how BA would get a hold of Virgins passenger list (I don't know how) and make deals with them, sending a chauffer to pick them up etc. If I remember correctly they even told some passengers that the Virgin flight was canceled how about booking on BA. I know they did more underhanded deals I jsut can't remember them all. I've gotten to be like my mom--watching a tv show, movie and at the end of the show saying oh yeah I think I've watched this before------------NO MEMORY. sORRY Let me just add that Richard Branson is a very interesting guy and doesn't just sit on his fortune but likes to have fun with it.

Oct 17th, 2001, 03:27 PM
BA

Hi Marie,
We here at BA would like to ask you to please never use us again after whatever we did to Richard "Interesting Millionaire: Branson. Really.

Oct 17th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Brooke

Air Canada is a good bet if you can get to a Canadian airport easily

Oct 18th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Joanne

Iceland Air is apparently offering tix for $249, go to their site /lucky.

Oct 19th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Christina

Like Marie I'm disgusted with BAs terrible business ethics. After reading Richard Branson Autobiography I vowed NEVER to use them again. Don't worry BA (or should I say jokster) you don't have to post a reply to me about using you. I wish that more people new about BA's dealings.

Oct 20th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Don

Travelocity has a nifty feature called "best fare finder." It shows the lowest published fares on a route if you select "my dates are flexible." For example, WAS to LON currently comes up with $358 on USAir or Icelandair (the latter have better web specials); NYC-LON at $229 on Kuwait Airways; BOS-LON $318 on USAir or Icelandair. Anticipating a question ... Kuwait Airways fly new Boeing 777s with good room for coach passengers and attentive service. London is a refueling stop on their Kuwait-New York route, and the NYC-LON leg is a favourite with airfare consolidators.

Oct 20th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Dick

Don,

I have tried Travelocity's "Best Fare Finder" many times and have yet to get a date that was "available". I think it's a joke.

Dick

Oct 20th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Jo

In terms of quality, I'd suggest that you go for Virgin. I also have a feeling that you will get a better deal if you book through virgin-atlantic.co.uk rather than .com - I know that shouldn't be the case but I SUSPECT it is.

Also, from having done it in the past, I don't recommend flying transatlantic if you don't go direct.

Having flown transatlantic many, many times in the past few years - it is really worth the money to fly direct and go quality.

Have fun! And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather in London will be good for you!

Oct 20th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Gregory

I think that Kuwait Airlines is a DRY airline, ie with on alcohol served on board??

Oct 20th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Don

Dick, I have used Travelocity's best fare finder many, many times and do not think it is a joke. What are you doing wrong?

Oct 21st, 2001, 11:08 AM
pete

I've had much better luck with orbitz than Travelocity. I see a great fare on farefinder on Travelocity, but then can't even get close to it when I start trying to plug in dates (multiple dates). Orbitz works better for me. Also, British Airways has a feature on their U.S. website where it displays the calendar, and you run your mouse over the dates and it tells you the cheapest fare for that date. It helps if you know when you want to within a few weeks, you can target the cheapest date much more easily that entering new dates over and over again to see what fare pops up.

Oct 21st, 2001, 02:20 PM
xxx

Marie,

Travelocity works for best for me. Key
very flexible when prompted,instead of specific dates. Then a calender will give a selection for 2-3 months. The only other nuisance is some times airlines that you know don't fly out of your local airport are listed. Just pass them up, I guess it's a gimmick to advertise.

I've found my best fares there once I learned my way around their site.

Some others are: www
.orbitz.com
.onetravel.com
.expedia.com
individual airlines ie.
www.southwest.com
Happy travels!