Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheapest days of week to fly to London in Summer

Aug 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

First of all let me thank those of you who helped me with my decision regarding where to stay next summer. Now that I have decided to try to reserve a flat for myself and my two kids, I next need your help regarding what days to book it for.

Don from eurotrip.com advises to book the airfare first thus improving your chances of getting a better fare rate. I don't think I can do that if I try to book a flat. It seems the properties go fairly quickly and I need to reserve as soon as possible. So my question is, are there cheaper days to fly out from the US than others during peak summer months like June/July? So therefore should I reserve the flat for Mon-Mon. or Tues- Tues. vs. weekend-weekend? Thanks again so much to all of you!
Aug 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I like that screen name. Generally, weekdays are cheaper to fly out than weekends. I always fly to Europe on a Tue or Wed. so I would suggest weekday to weekday for your airfare and flat.
Aug 11th, 2004, 07:08 PM

BA has a super website for checking stuff like this. They allow you to put in dates and specify a number of days +/- of flexiblity to allow you to search for the best fares. Check it out...obviously you can use this info with any other airline, but I haven't found such clear info anywhere else. As I recall, Tuesdays and Wednesdays were typically the cheapest days...
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will take a look at the BA site. Have a nice day.
Aug 12th, 2004, 05:51 AM

A word of warning : most self-catering accommodation - flats, cottages etc - is only available to rent from and to a specific day of the week - most frequently Saturday-Saturday. This would not however apply to serviced accommodation, where you pay by the day : I'm not sure if that is the type of accommodation you are looking at or not.
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Just to add a clarification to Caroline's comment: While most holiday cottages outside of the major cities do rent from a specific day to specific day (and yes - normally Sat/Sat) there are almost NO flats in London that rent that way. 99% will allow you to arrive any day and many (maybe 40%) will rent for less than 7 days. Some have a 3 day minimum, and some even rent by the night.

So you don't have to plan your trip based on having to arrive on a Saturday . . . .
Aug 13th, 2004, 12:30 AM

Oh right, thanks Janis, didn't realise that, never having rented a flat in London - well, only for a year or more at a time