Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Hotel Alpina in Grindelwald?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:28 AM
Tina

Hello--<BR><BR>We are considering Hotel Alpina (3 star)in Grindenwald. Has anyone stayed there before? <BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:57 AM
Patrick

Yes, have stayed there twice. You can actually walk up from the train station, just a block, but a fairly steep hill to pull luggage.<BR>One of the best things about it is that nearly all the rooms have large balconies and face Eiger and the Jungfrau with a beautiful view. The hotel will guarantee you one of those, unlike many other hotels where you will get one "depending upon availability". The rooms are fairly large and done in a rather contemporary Alpine style, wood furniture, but clean and bright. Nice bathrooms. It is a family run hotel, with a "grandmotherly" type who serves as the main hostess for both the hotel and the nice restaurant, and her excellent chef son who runs the kitchen. The restaurant is often popular with people from other hotels as it seems to have a reputation for the best fondue Chinois -- huge platters of meats, vegetables, and condiments to cook in broth.<BR>Last time in the area, I thought we'd stay in Wengen instead, but we love the Alpina and feel so comfortable, that we decided to return again to Grindelwald. Will certainly stay there again next time in the area.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:20 AM
Tina

Great! Thanks for the insight. Sounds like the atmosphere we're looking for.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:15 AM
Patrick

Tina, just looked and noticed that the Alpina has redone their website. Look at www.alpina-grindelwald.ch<BR>I can't seem to make it work in English, but there are some decent pictures including an interior of one of the standard rooms -- can you sort of see the view of the mountain outside?<BR>You can also book directly from the website. Don't worry, they all speak perfect English, as in most of Switzerland.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:22 AM
Ursula

Patrick: They will probably work on their English and the French site. Everything is still in German.That's the case for a lot of places here in Switzerland. But, compared to other countries, I think a lot of Swiss hotels are doing a great job when it comes to their website.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:39 AM
Patrick

Ursula, yes, you are right. It just surprised me as their old website was in English. I'm not sure when they redid it, but apparently they just haven't gotten around to doing the new English version yet. I click the English flag, but nothing happens.