Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheapest and fastest way to get from Lake Como to Lucerne, Switzerland?

Jan 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Anyone know the cheapest way (and fastest) to get from Lake Como to Lucerne? (At Lake Como my starting point is Bellagio, but I don't know if the Varenna train station goes to Lucerne - I might have to go to the Como station.)

Thank you!
Jan 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM

I'd go to the Como station.

Look at sbb.ch and put in Como and Lucerne and you'll see the train times. It's definitely the fastest way.
Jan 17th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Schuler - thank you for the website. When I type in Como to Luzern, there is another drop down box in which I have to say "Via" ........ I want to go via train! However, I have no idea what all those different options are??? Does that make sense?
Jan 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Via only needs filled in if you need to go via a specefic route...pretty sure you don't need to select anything for that
Jan 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Can I print my tickets from home? I don't want to pay for shipping and I would rather not pick up while in Europe.
Jan 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Consider a ferry to Menaggio--a bus to Lugano[an hour]--and catch the train there. It will likely be the same train as you would catch in Como but :45 further up the line.
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Re bobthenavigator's suggestion, the Italian bus lines do not drop you at the Lugano rail station, but end down by the lake at least 1 km from the station. Here's an explanation with a link:

http://www.hotelsmenaggiolagocomo.it...o_reach_us.htm

There is one Swiss Postbus a day stopping in Menaggio which will stop at the Lugano train station, on the Palm Express route, and you would need to reserve a place on it in advance. The schedule is shown on the sbb website.

I think going to Como and taking the train from there would be be easier.
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Note that there are 2 main stations in Como. Down on the lake by where the ferries arrive is the Como Nord station the the Ferrovie Nord line (a separate company, not part of Trenitalia, and not the one you want).

You would want Como San Giovanni which is about 1 km from where the ferries arrive (take a taxi). But a bus from Bellagio would put you right at the Como San Giovanni station.
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM

You can find schedules for both the Menaggio - Lugano bus (line C12) and the Bellagio - Como (line C30) buses here:

http://www.asfautolinee.it/Default.a...utolinee.it/en

Right now they are displaying a winter schedule. Your destination in Como is the rail station, "Como Stazione FS".
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM

I am finding that most trains go through Milan. From Bellgio take the ferry over to Varenna then local train to Milan then change to an EC in Milan and again in Arth-Goldau and on to Luzern. I went kinda on this route in September except I went to Zermatt. I got a really good price on the sbb.ch site from Milan to Zermatt.
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Do not go back to Milan for the same train you can catch in Como or Lugano.
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Wish I had known this before last September. I had looked up the route on trenitalia. I probably wasted about an hour or more? That's what I get for not asking the advice of Fodor's scholars.
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM

I would take the fast ferry to Como, taxi to Como San Giovanni and train from there to Luzern. I think the Varenna-Milan route would take twice as long. FYI, not all trains from Como San Giovanni to Luzern stop at Lugano.
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Oh, I may not have gone the long way...I went to Zermatt. I just checked on sbb.ch and I would have had to go from Como back to Milano Centrale. different route