Cheaper, Local, memorable, bakeries/ restaurants in Berchtegaden area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Berchtesgaden for 3 nights and 2 days in June ... We will be visiting Hallstatt, Salzburg, Konigsee, Zell Am See, Grossglockner route ...

I am looking for local favorites but cheaper places to eat ... On both our trips to Europe(involving France, Spain and Italy) our most memorable food moments have been local places suggested by locals ... Any local traditions/ must -dos like the Neapolitana or CHocolate con churro in Spain?? Any local restaurants like the small roadside pizzerias in Cinque Terre Italy??

I am looking for bakeries and their special goods that one must have when in the area ... We typically always get a big box of baked goodies packed at each of our stops to last us next 2-3 days ...

I am looking for cheaper (5-15 Euros per person) restaurants to eat local favorites ... I have a 4 year old boy and so fancy restaurants do not work for us so I do not want to pay the high price associated with making my son to sit all stiffled and cramped ) ...

A slight twist also is that 2 out of the 4 adults are strict vegetarians ( no fish, no meat, only eggs OK) and 2 of us eat only chicken for meat (no beef, no pork) ... So any veggie friendly places are welcome too .. We had no problem in Italy finding vegetarian food, but Spain was not as friendly ...

Also, ony one of us will drink any alcohol ... But when in Germany, I would like to try the Beer Garden ... Any suggestions for the most authentic experience??

I would really appreciate any suggestions ... Food is important for our vacations and a critical part of our memories ...
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Bumping ... Hoping to get some help ....
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM

For berchtesgaden

the restaurant in the Vier Jahrezeiten hotel has a good menu at fair pricing - numerous salads and fish dishes -

Bakery - Niedermayer - but remember that most all breAD nd pastry items here have no preservatives- buy with this in ind and do not get several days supply - it will not be the best idea.

I would not look to eat by Konigsee- this is " tourist central"

Salzburg
Beer garden arrangement
Augustiner
www.augustinerbier.at

they have a deli / food area where you pick what you like many salad type

Cafe
Cafe Tomaselli central in the old town especially good Guglhupf an excelent cake

Vegetarian

Heart of Joy

and many indian places can offer you some fare also.

Hallstatt - check the fish specialties

hotel Zauner for one

one of the best pastry shops in Austria is in Bad Ischl near to Hallstatt

Cafe Zauner they have a restaurant too at another location on the Promenade

www.zauner.at

You will find a vegetarian dish or fish on most all menus - while selection may be limited usually good quality. most all places have a chicken entree or two also
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Our favorite restaurants in the Berchtesgaden area are...
www.gebirgshaeusl.de
On the B305 by Ramsau 10 min from Berchtesgaden. Inddor and outdoor seating.

www.doncamillo-ristorante.de
In Bad Reichenhall 15 min from Berchtesgaden. Indoor and outdoor seating and the pizza's are inexpensive and excellent, as is everything we've had there (4 times).

We like Niedermayers bakery in Ramsau. It's right off the B305 10 min. from Berchtesgaden. You'll see the sign.
www.dorfbaeckerei.de

By the way, the B305 is simply a 2 lane road, not a highway.

Paul
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM

Just to add... the Don Camillo is very casual (the look of the website would suggest otherwise), especially when sitting outdoors.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Paul and Molker ... I am researching the restaurants and bakeries suggested by you and they look awesome ...

Molker... The Zauner looks exactly like something we have been looking for ... Something steeped in history and known for its products ... Also, you mentioned Guglhupf ... Seems like a speacial Austrian cake ... Any more of such local speciality names that I can acquaint myself with?? If you went to Zauner, what would you absolute HAVE??

Paul ... The Doncamillo looks exactly like something we want .. lots of inexpensive choices ... Loved the bakery suggestion too ..Like I asked Molker, any suggestions of sepciaif dishes/ baked items that you would absolutely HAVE at these??

Thanks to both of you .. getting excited now ... Even though vegetarians, food is an important part of our vacations ...
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM

As for bakeries, I found that most of the bakeries in the area are excellent. My absolutely favore pastry to get are the chocolate croissants, which are truly to die for. The croissants are so buttery that the chocolate just kind of melts into them. I sometimes think B'gaden is one of my favorite regions in Europe because of them....

If you don't mind a little drive, there is a restaurant high in mountains above Ramsau called the Nutzkaser. The food is good, but the best part is that you are seated in this solarium-type dining room with big windows and the views of the mountains are stunning. It's not too far from B'gaden. http://www.hotel-nutzkaser.de/eng/start.html

Have fun!
Tracy
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM

Hi again,

We last year a the Don Camillo we had lasagne and pizza. I'm not a beer drinker (never drink at home at all) but a Radler is very good. It's a mix of beer and lemon-lime soda. Just a "heads up"... when you order a pizza (just about everywhere we've been in Austria/Bavaria/Sud Tirol), you get a pie for one person. They are VERY thin, crisp and delicious! Yes, one adult can eat an entire pie by him/her self. No problem. Oh, everyone we've ever seen eating pizza uses a knife and fork. So we do likewise!

At the Gebirgshausl we love the Jagerhacksteak and the Putenbraten. Putenbraten was excellent. It was either chicken or turkey, I can't recall.

In Zell am See we can highly recommend the "Lebzelter Hotel" restaurant for dinner.
www.hotel-lebzelter.at

We also "stock up" on Milka chocolate bars, snacks and drinks at the Muller dept. store in Berchtesgaden. Actually, it's seems to be a pretty popular chain with many locations. Billa supermarkets are also great for Milka chocolates, snacks and drinks. We still have a couple here at home. Hmm, now sounds like a good time to have one!

Niedermayers... I can't recommend anything in particular. We've spent 11 nights the last 4 years(3 trips) staying right across the street from Niedermayers bakery at the Pension Mayringerlehen. We've tried too much to remember. We don't remember anything bad though. Love the pretzels!

Oh... when in Austria, if you like chocolate, try a "Mohr im Hemd" for dessert! Or at a cafe with an afternoon coffee/cappuccino. I actually check the menu for this before anything else!

Paul
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Tracy and Paul (once again!! ... We have added the chocolate croissants to our list ... I do remember from my honeymoon in Austria, never had croissants like that again ... Will check out the Nutzkaser too ...

Paul ... your suggestions are invaluable ... pizza pie, the radler, Milka chocolate bars and Mihr im Hemd have all been added to our list and I will be on the look out for that!!!

I am loving this ... anything else you can think of that you wuld definitely eat/ drink if you are in the region ??
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM

We had a nice lunch at the Cafe Zauner in Bad Ischl (the one on the Promenade) last September. Also had dessert. The Zauner Stollen is their signature pastry. It's quite good but just a tad dry, sort of like Sacher Torte.

When I lived in Vienna years ago, two of my favorite desserts were Mohr im Hemd and Palatschinken. Palatschinken are thin crepes filled with jam or ice cream (my favorite) then sprinkled with powdered sugar or covered in a warm chocolate sauce with whipped cream (again, my favorite). Either of these desserts are truly yummy.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM

Regarding Zauner - the in town location - a cafe of tradition-
I enjoy the Marmor Guglhopf this a marbalized version of the original a little sweet but excelent at any time of the day -
Linzer Cake I enjoy and if still made the Malakofftorte with much cream.
skip the stollen

The Zauner on the Promwnade/ Esplanade with a nice garden good menu of austrian specialties and less formal - fine ice cream

for special other dining in Bad Ixchl

Weinhaus Attwenger

www.weinhaus-attwenger.com