cheaper hotels in paris that are nice

Jun 2nd, 1998, 03:18 AM
zeldasmyth

cheaper hotels in paris that are nice

I am going to Paris in August and am looking for a hotel room that is around $100. I would like it in the "thick of things" or at least not completely out of town. Also how hot is it there in August and is it a dry heat or humid? My understanding is that few hotels are airconditioned. Is this OK in August? Thaaaaaaaaank you for your assistance.

Jun 2nd, 1998, 04:43 AM
DAWN KRIVUTZA

Just got back from Paris Saturday and stayed at a wonderful hotel that I simply can not recommend enough...Hotel Champ du Mars off of Rue Cler (great market street very close to eiffel tower and a 2 minute walk to the metro station) I don't know if it was air conditioned (was chilly out) the rooms were small but emaculate and very nicely decorated. Had a full bath with a tub and shower. There is also an elevator. Best place 2 places down for chocolate almond croissants! Everything you need is in that neighborhood! I will try to find their web address for you or you can do a search. If you have any quesions let me know

Jun 2nd, 1998, 07:28 AM
anne

A couple of years ago we were in Paris in August and stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles - in the Latin Quarter, close to sights, but like a country inn - windows opening onto the courtyard garden, where breakfast is also served. Rooms are all around $100 - some less.

Jun 2nd, 1998, 08:58 AM
Christina

I've heard/read good things about both the hotels
previously mentioned. A couple other suggestions:
Hotel Muguet in the 7th arr. and Hotel Caron de
Beaumarchais in the 4th arr (it may be a little
more expensive than $100); both are central,nice and probably about your price range.
I've never had air conditioning in Paris and
I've stayed there a lot in July, which is on avg
the hottest month. It didn't bother me, but I don't
like air conditioning much anyway. It is rarely as
hot as 90 degrees in Paris in the summer, which is
when I think you need A/C. Heat is not terribly dry, but not as humid as mid/eastern US. I live in
Washington DC and go to Paris every summer in July
to get away from the heat here so it seems wonderful
to me by comparison.

Jun 3rd, 1998, 03:11 PM
Mike Miller

Another very nice hotel on Rue Cler is the Grand Hotel Leveque which is below your price range and comes very highly recommended by myself, Rick Steves and National Geographic Travler. Stayed there in 95 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very friendly staff, great location (6 or 7 blocks from the Eiffel Tower). I am sure you will find either hotel on Rue Cler very enjoyable.

Jun 3rd, 1998, 04:50 PM
Lisa

Also just got back Sunday from Paris. While there we stayed at the Hotel de L'Empereur on rue Chevert which is around the block from rue Cler. The dome from the Invalides is in view as the hotel is on the backside of it. It was less than 2 blocks from the metro, has a very friendly staff (fronted me francs for taxi on arrival) and clean accommodations with shower and toilet in room. It cost $108 for 3 people in one room. Cost for one or two should be lower. My niece in France always uses this hotel for family visiting Paris.

Jun 5th, 1998, 06:03 PM
zelda

thank you for your advice

Jun 6th, 1998, 10:35 AM
bob Brown

I am a greenhorn when it comes to Paris.
What is the meaning of 7th and 4th arr??
Are these map coordinates or sections of the city??
Please enlighten me so I am a little less green.

Jun 6th, 1998, 10:35 AM
bob Brown

I am a greenhorn when it comes to Paris.
What is the meaning of 7th and 4th arr??
Are these map coordinates or sections of the city??
Please enlighten me so I am a little less green.

Jun 6th, 1998, 10:50 AM
Karen Vonschlichten

How nice to hear that you enjoyed yourself. My husband and I have reservations to stay at the Hotel Champs du Mars in July for our first trip to Paris. It sound wonderful and well located. We will be staying in one of the downstaris rooms by the elevator. If you flew in to Charles De Gaulle airport, could you tell me the easiest way to get from the airport to the hotel.
merci, Karen Von Schlichten

Jun 6th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Al

To Karen: When you return from your stay at the Hotel Champs Du Mars, please report on this forum. I have reservations in September, and I would like to be armed with all the information possible. Bon Chance!

Jun 8th, 1998, 05:35 AM
Dawn

we didn't go from the airport into Paris but did it on the way back to CDG. We took the air france shuttle from the arc de triomph (sp?) from hotel champ du mars. there are a lot of stairs at the metro station so pack like we did, light! They will give you directions at the hotel, you only need to change trains once and the shuttle is cheap (and air conditioned), @ $10/per person I think

Jun 8th, 1998, 06:14 AM
Al

To Dawn;
I'm not to clear on your previous message. Did you say that you took the CDG shuttle from the Hotel Champs Du Mars to the airport?

Jun 8th, 1998, 06:47 AM
Harry L. Cook

We stayed at the Gran Hotel Leveque at 29 Rue St. Cler, which is a market street not far from the Eiffel Tower. It was a great location and the hotel only cost around $70 a night in 1995. The telephone number is 011 33 1 47 05 49 15. Club France is not a bad investment if you are doing a lot of tourist things.

Jun 8th, 1998, 12:15 PM
dawn

Al we took the air france shuttle from Paris to the CDG airport (we did not take it from CDG into Paris)

Jun 8th, 1998, 01:25 PM
Mike

A reply to Bob.....Metropolitan paris is arranged into something called "arrondisements", abbreviated arr. In a sense, these are neighbourhoods. There are 20 of them total. Arr. #1 is the downtown core of Paris,with the Louvre, Place de la concorde, etc, with the Seine as its south border. This is the oldest section of Paris. Arr 2 thru 4 run clockwise from #1,with #4 being east of #1, and also having the Seine as its south border. This is classically called ther Right Bank area. Then, #5 thru #7 continue the clockwise division of Paris, but these are now on the South Side of the Seine. This area has been called the Left Bank/St Germain area. Arr. #8 is on the north (Right bank) of the seine and so on to Arr. 20. People who are familiar with Paris can situate/categorise things easier when you give them the arrondisement number. Also, when you see the mailing address for Paris, eg 70008, the last digit(s) is the arrondisement.
Hope this helps....if you go to the Paris Pages at www.paris.org they have a map divided by arr.

Bonne Journee!

Jun 8th, 1998, 02:11 PM
Christina

To whomever asked about Air France shuttle--it
only goes to/from CDG airport to a couple central
drop-off points, not to hotels: one is the Arc de
Triomphe and another is the Montparnasse Tower.
I think (but don't quote me) they have a bus that
also stops at Les Invalides, but only from Orly
airport. It's about $10 to Arc de Triomphe, about
$12 to Montparnasse. I think I've heard it has
another point at one of the northside train stations
(Gare de Lyon maybe), but I'm not sure about that.
Complaint du jour: how come many people trying
to impress others with their French are ALWAYS
writing "bon chance". This really bugs me, as I
see it a lot. "Chance" (luck) is feminine--I think there
was even an old Sinatra song to this effect--and thus
this phrase is "bonne chance".

Jun 8th, 1998, 03:59 PM
Mike Miller

There is a Bus to Charles DeGaulle which leaves from in front of the Opera House every hour I believe. There is a metro stop right across the street and I believe the price was $10.

Jun 8th, 1998, 04:12 PM
AMIK

Novotel Gare De Lyon, 2 minutes from Gare De Lyon,
which is like 15 minutes metro ride from the center
of Paris. It's not "charming", because it's
relatively new, very modern, with AC, indoor pool,
very good buffet breakfast, clean and modern. Check
the 800 number for Novotel. Paris hotels are very
expensive, and not very comfortable, and this one is
a very good b

Jun 12th, 1998, 03:25 AM
zelda