Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap travel from Manchester to Paris in August

Jun 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I am looking for information and suggestions to travel from Manchester, UK to Paris in August. Booking from the states is very limiting and possibly more expensive. I am not sure if I should book a flight now (around $230 US) or wait until I arrive in Manchester and take a discounted ticket? Will I get penalized for short notice on discount airlines like Ryan Air (Air Ryan?)- it looks like this isn't even a direct flight.

I have been told that once you are in Europe it is much easier to book flights and travel, as well as it may be less expensive.

I can be pretty flexible with dates and times, however a direct flight would be optimal. Thanks for your help!
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Look for flights from Liverpool also.

http://www.whichbudget.com

I think it's pretty rare and uncommon to get a cheap last-minute flight to Paris, whether you're in Europe or not. The budget airlines generally provide the cheapest fares at the beginning of their sales cycle, not at the last minute. Even for August, you are relatively late.

But also check www.lastminute.com .
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Use a low cost operator and book as soon as possible
Jun 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Flybe and Jet2 (who fly to Paris from Manchester) are no better or worse than Ryanair (who don't). Don't even think of getting an "indirect" flight on Ryanair, because you can't just change planes with them: you have to recheck, and do so before their 40 minute closure.

There's a bus from central Manchester to Liverpool airport, which is not much further, pricier or time-consuming than getting to Manchester airport.

All the options are just as easy to book abroad as here. Whoever told you it's easier or cheaper to book flights here was smoking aomething illegal or just spends their lives fantasising.
Jun 30th, 2007, 04:30 AM

I wish people would stop saying Ryanair fly to Paris from the UK - the only UK airport where this can happen is Prestwick - and anyway Beauvais is nowhere near Paris