Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cheap Spain/Portugal flights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cheap-spain-portugal-flights-373655/)

samtraveler Nov 3rd, 2003 04:11 PM

Cheap Spain/Portugal flights?

I've been seeing all over this forum people reporting cheap fares for flights within the Iberian peninsula. I've checked several sites, and haven't had any luck. I am looking for a flight from either Granada or somewhere on the Costa del Sol to Lisbon on May 29, 2004. Anyone have any suggestions? Or is a cheap flight for this route non-existent? Thanks!

Maribel Nov 3rd, 2003 04:30 PM

samtraveler,
As far as I know, there are no non-stop flights from Granada or Málaga to Lisbon. From Málaga
(AGP) to Lisbon (LIS) both Spanair and Portugalia fly the route, but they require a change in Madrid.
See www.pga.pt or check on www.travelocity.com or expedia.com

wheredafungawe Nov 3rd, 2003 04:53 PM

Maribel is right on this one. I flew from Málaga to Lisbon and had to change in Madrid. I flew the Málaga-Madrid segment on Spanair and Madrid-Lisbon on Portugalia. I did this early in the morning and received a nice little breakfast on both flights... It was quite good actually...

samtraveler Nov 3rd, 2003 05:39 PM

I'm not so much concerned with the routing, ie whether or not the flight is direct or stops in Madrid, as I am about the price. Any ideas about low fares on this route? I'm most interested in fares from Granada to Lisbon, but Costa del Sol would work too. Thanks!

Nidwaldner_Chris Nov 3rd, 2003 11:48 PM

That's also a long holiday weekend (Whit Monday, also one of 2 consecutive holiday weekends(Ascension)) so that may be one reason you'll have trouble finding cheap flights.

JonJon Nov 4th, 2003 12:38 AM

Assume you also checked fares on www.opodo.com

Angela_m Nov 4th, 2003 04:50 AM

Check europebyair.com. It looks like you can get a $99 flightpass from Malaga to Lisbon. You might get something cheaper if you wait until Spanair or Iberia run a special. Last May I got a 35euro fare on Spanair from Malaga to Barcelona, but I waited until around February/March.

samtraveler Nov 5th, 2003 10:01 AM

In addition to the sources I've checked, I've checked the sources you provided on this thread (thank you), and to no avail. Prices on this route seem to be sky high. Perhaps I'm too early or maybe I'm just plain out of luck. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. In addition to looking for cheap flights from Granada or the Costa del Sol I'm also looking for cheap flights to Lisbon from Seville. There just doesn't seem to be a reasonable fare from any of these cities to Lisbon. Does anyone have a suggestion to what the best alternative might be? What about taking the train? Perhaps that is what we'll do.

RachelG Nov 5th, 2003 11:03 AM

There are often cheap fares within Spain on Iberia--last March when we were there, I remember seeing an ad for anywhere in Spain on Iberia for 29 Euros one-way. But once you get outside Spain to Portugal, it's a whole different deal.