cheap route to Dordogne

Search

cheap route to Dordogne

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap route to Dordogne

any suggestions on getting to say Bordeaux or Toulouse to start a 14 day trip in SW France

Fly from Chicago to London and then fly to Bordeaux or Toulouse???? what airline from London and how complicated from Heathrow??

Or Fly from Chicago to Paris and then fly to Bordeaux or Toulouse or take TGV to either city??

I kind of favor flying into Paris as we may end up further east at the end of the trip around Beziers and can do TGV to CDG

thanks

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM
ira

Hi d,

Have you checked prices at www.kayak.com and www.whichbudget.com?

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM

Easyjet has inexpensive flights from Paris Orly to Toulouse. Another option is Air France who also has low cost tickets from Orly to Toulouse. Both these options are quicker than the TGV, which isn't high speed to Toulouse.

We are doing this trip in May and have decided to just rent a car at Orly and drive down, seeing a bit of the Lot on the way. We just rented a gite for 1 week in May for 285€ located close to Sare, using gites-de-france site.

Car rental isn't cheap. I had a very difficult time finding an affordable rental this trip. I ended up booking it off the SkyEurope site, using a German consolidator. The actual rental will be with Europcar.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM

We are taking a trip that starts in Barcelona, goes through the Dordogne and ends up in Paris, so I've recently looked into all sorts of options.

One issue with flying into London, then on to Bordeaux or Toulouse (or Barcelona) is that for Toulouse, but not Bordeaux (as I remember), you have to switch airports. Planes from the U.S. fly into Heathrow, but from London to Toulouse, you fly out of Gatwick. So you would have to plan in lots of extra time to get from Heathrow to Gatwick.

There are numerous ways to get from the Dordogne up to Paris (or vice versa), either taking a short plane ride from Toulouse or Bordeaux to Paris, or taking the train. For our trip, we'll be spending a couple of days in Paris before we head back to the U.S., so it came down to an analysis of time and money. For us, the cost of a low-cost air carrier from Toulouse/Bordeaux into Paris is very close to the cost of the train tickets. When you factor in needing to be at the airport early and then needing to get from the airport into downtown Paris, the time is quite similar as well. We'll probably take a train.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:10 PM
ira

Hi L,

>For us, the cost of a low-cost air carrier from Toulouse/Bordeaux into Paris is very close to the cost of the train tickets. <

PREMS fare Bordeaux/Paris is 25E.

With whom are you flying?

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

not sure yet but AA and CO are close by their web sites, Auto Europe not far behind and flights to Europe comes up with UA- all around $750 a ticket!

I think we will do the TGV train from CDG to Bordeaux or before!

thanks All
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

through autoeurope got very good tickets I think ORD to MUC and then TLS - TLS -fra-ord home $793r/t - about $500 cheaper I think than best flight to Paris and then TGV r/t plus less CDG hassle I hope and less time -14 hrs or so going and coming vs like 20 hrs plane-train to TLS

we will see!!