Reload this Page >

cheap ireland in december

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Joanna Bryden

A college friend and I are going to Ireland for 7 days in December, and want to see as much as we can for as cheap as we can. We are into beautiful scenery, old churches/abbeys, the coast, and want to do some shopping. What's the cheapest way to get around, and what is best to see in just seven days?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:49 AM
kathy

You'll find plenty of suggestions from previous posts here, including the one on travelling Ireland in January... Having said that, I suggest flying into Shannon, renting a small car and travelling south. Killarney is large enough to base yourself out of with plenty of shops and restaurants, but I really loved Kenmare. Be careful driving (none after dark) and you will see tons of beautiful scenery. B&B's abound, check websites and books. But if you get caught without a reservation it shouldn't be a problem. Have a great trip.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Ann

Whatever you do, do not bother stopping in Killarney, let alone stay there. Unless you just want to hang with thousands of American, Canadian, and German retirees on tour buses.<BR><BR>Renting a car in Ireland is not cheap, and you'll likely have to buy the extra insurance (most credit cards don't cover CDW in Ireland. A few do. If yours does, bring something in writing with you). It's going to cost you at the bare minimum $300 for 7 days.<BR><BR>You won't need any reservations in December, and I wouldn't pick one town as a base. But I would try to make a reservation for the night you arrive, whether you fly into Dublin or Shannon or Belfast. You'll be tired, and glad you're not driving that first night.<BR><BR>If you really want beautiful scenery and the coast, I would fly into Belfast and head over to County Donegal, which is in the Republic of Ireland. The Inishowen Penisula is often described as heaven on earth, and that's a very accurate depiction of the area. You could also explore the Antrim Coast road, which you could take back down to Belfast. Stunning scenery.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Kathleen

Donegal is beautiful, but December might be a bit bleak....try Dublin, and then the southeast--it's got everything you want: Newgrange, Glendalough, Kilkenny, Jerpoint Abbey, Waterford, the Wicklow mountains, and some good shopping & nightlife in Dublin. The days will be short, so keep that in mind.<BR>I don't think renting a car is that expensive, less than $30 a day including insurance if you look for a bargain. otherwise, go to Dublin, use the busses, take the day trips to Glendalough/Powerscourt, & Newgrange. And then consider the train to Galway for a day or two...<BR><BR>Whaterver way, have fun, wish I were going back!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Cathy

Joanna,<BR><BR>RE Dublin 1. It is not cheap and is difficult to find cheap places try the hostels or stay outside the city centre and 2. For Dublin and major cities pre-book your B&Bs as many places are slashing their prices and they are filling up very quickly, it is always impossible to get a bed in Dublin,<BR><BR>Check out www.ireland.travel.ie for further info'on hostels in Ireland,<BR><BR>Cathy

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Ann

I've rented cars in the north and in the Republic, and the absolutely cheapest rate I've ever found was about 200 punts for 7 days. That's nearly 30 punts a day, which is close to $50.<BR><BR>I'd love to hear where you can get a car in Ireland for less than $30 a day, including CDW!

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Kathleen

I've used a 'car broker' to get good rental rates, that are all inclusive--of course the longer you rent, the less expensive. Three weeks ago I rented for five days, paid IE150, including CDW, VAT & all the other little fees they like to stick you with. Of course, I wasn't getting a Range Rover or BMW....<BR><BR>And Ann, if you're only getting 30 pounds for $50, you're getting conned--the exchange rate for Irish punts is about $1.15 (give or take) to the punt....

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Wyn

I would recommend staying in Galway as your "base." Fly into Dublin or Shannon obviously, rent a car and drive to Galway. Dublin is an awesome city, but is quickly becoming a major European city. I would head to the West Coast of Ireland to really experience the Irish culture. By basing yourself in Galway (which is a great little city in itself) you can take day trips into the countrysides like Connemara, the Burren and the Aran Islands. I'm not a fan of the tour bus approach, but driving in some of those back roads can get you easily lost. Also, daylight is at a premium at that time of year and the tours are virtually empty and run on a good schedule of things to see in a day.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Ann

Kathleen--my mistake. I meant to write pounds, not punts. And I keep forgetting that the's punts been in the toilet for so long. Even still, you're still above the $30 mark BTW, I don't think my Fiat Punto qualifies as a Range Rover.<BR><BR>Regardless, are you going to withhold the information from us about car brokers? Names, phone numbers, web sites?

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 05:15 PM
lisett

Have you considered a package? We purchased one for 399 which included a flight from the east coast, small car and B&B vouchers for six nights. If you're heading out for Chrismas I don't know if this price would exist for you though.