Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cheap First trip to Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cheap-first-trip-to-italy-306132/)

seaescape Apr 11th, 2003 10:21 AM

Cheap First trip to Italy?

Hello fellow travelers,<BR>I am looking for suggestions of what think it would cost to go to Italy in July? I know it is the highest rates, but is there any lower cost &quot;off the beat path&quot; spots you would recommend to an Italian novice.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Rick

Lesli Apr 11th, 2003 10:28 AM

See this thread for many ideas on how to keep things cheap in Italy:<BR><BR>http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34410777<BR><BR>The ideas on the Frommers link contained on this thread may be partiularly helpful, since you're just starting to plan.<BR><BR>For more threads like this, type &quot;budget AND italy&quot; in the text box at the top of this page.<BR><BR>As with any country, larger cities will generally cost more than smaller towns.

cmarlin20 Apr 11th, 2003 10:34 AM

I can tell you after reading this board to plan my trip in June, describe in more detail what you are interests are, how much can you pay per night, etc. <BR>Cindy

suze Apr 11th, 2003 12:23 PM

Staying in 1-2 cities/towns, rather than trying to 'see it all' will save money (as a general rule). Transportation is a major cost. By staying in one locale longer you might also be able to find cheaper &amp; nicer lodgings.

kittrdg Apr 11th, 2003 12:32 PM

I have a habit of walking into small shops in any city I am in and asking if they know of anyone would rent a room for a few nights. Always ending getting great places, dirt cheap in some of the best cities. Many of my friends feel really uncomfortable doing this for fear of sleeping on a beach or in a park. I find its a risk that pays off handsomely.

elaine Apr 11th, 2003 12:53 PM

Hi<BR>as already mentioned, it would help if you'd say what you have in mind--<BR>cities? Places with art museums?<BR>Lots of locations have cheap eats and accommodations, but what do you want to see?<BR>You might also want to visit the Rick Steves and Frommers and slowtrav and<BR>roughguides websites<BR>they specialize in budget travel ideas<BR>and have message boards<BR>but plenty of people can help here as well

seaescape Apr 14th, 2003 07:24 AM

I think we are looking for an economical but still romantic trip to experience Italy. We don't have a ton of vaca. so we would only be able to go for 7-10 days. We don't need to pack in the whole country. Maybe just Venice and some smaller towns? We are not into museums but would love to see some historic spots and enjoy lovely scenery..especially the beach.

ira Apr 14th, 2003 08:36 AM

Hi Seascape,<BR><BR> May I suggest spending your week on the Amalfi coast in Sorrento or Praiano?

zootsi Apr 14th, 2003 08:55 AM

You can find some very resonable lodging in Italy if you hunt around. Rome may be a bit of a stretch, but even there $100 a night is within reason. We found a charming hotel in Venice for about $90 a night (Galleria), and beautiful farmhouse b&amp;bs in Tuscany for well under $100 a night. Dining is no problem - just seek out busy neighborhood trattorias and you'll have some of the best food you've ever eaten for under $20 a dinner.

JandaO Apr 14th, 2003 09:28 AM

Hello,<BR> First of all I wish I could talk you out of going in July. These will be the buzz words. HOT, CROWDED, and EXPENSIVE !!<BR> Now that I have said that... On my 2 trips to Italy, each time in Sept/Oct. I have spent 100 dollars a day plus airfair.<BR> Down south in Italy it may be cheaper for you. I love Sorrento and the Amalfi area. There are alot of apartments or farm stays that are really cost affective. I would try that route verses hotels.<BR>Have a wonderful time in Italy.

suze Apr 14th, 2003 04:05 PM

Especially with such a short time, I again recommend staying just one place. Although I love Venice and would suggest it for your entire time, it is far from the cheapest destination and certainly not 'off the beaten' path.<BR><BR>BUT it is incredibly romantic and there's plenty to do simply walking around (and around!), no need to actual do museums if they don't interest you. The atmosphere is in the street (well sidewalks, plazas, canals, etc. I mean).

e_roz Apr 15th, 2003 06:01 AM

SPlurge on a few nights in Venice, www.hotelgalleria.it or check out eurocheapo.com. We are going for our honeymoon in Late June/Early July and have averaged under $100 for 14 nights. Venice and Lake Como are the most expensive. I'd say VEnice for 2 nights, then choose from Verona, Bolgona, Lake Como or train from venice to Florence and stay in a b&amp;B, see tuscany.net or fagiolari.it good luck!

seaescape Apr 15th, 2003 06:46 AM

Thank you for all the amazing tips, I think we are reconsidering the Italy trip since July/August are not ideal and the most expensive. I was on the fence and now my wife is too. Everyone on this board really seems to think Fall is the BEST time to go so we are going to wait and do that for a nice honeymoon in a year or two.