Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   cheap eats in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cheap-eats-in-paris-111310/)

marsch Mar 10th, 2001 11:38 AM

cheap eats in Paris

Anyy suggestions for inexpensive good food in Paris? Staying in the 6th, but plan to be all about the town for 2 weeks.

Anne-Marie Mar 10th, 2001 01:53 PM

Yes! The best food I've had in Paris hasn't been in restaurants at all. The next time I go back, I'll buy most of my food at the Bon Marché de Paris on the Rue du Bac. (7th Arr. I think it's near you.) You should see this place. The best breads. The best cheeses. The best patés. The best olives. Yum. Pack a bag and go for a picnic along the Seine or in the Marais. I've also noticed a lot of "traiteurs" in the 7th, as well as the Latin Quarter. They have pre-packaged foods (hot and cold) that you can take-away and eat somewhere with a view. Have fun!

Rex Mar 10th, 2001 02:04 PM

Well, one of the best sources for good food, if you are really watching your budget is a grocery store. Try the Auchan not far from La Defense, for example. <BR> <BR>But you probably mean restaurants. You could buy the book of the same name as your post. (If this is guerilla advertising, Ms. Gustafson, good one!) <BR> <BR>A competitor is the Adrian Leeds book. Thee are three freebie recommendations from Adrian Leeds at the website http://www.parisinsiderguides.com/le...staurants.html - - supposedly this list changes every so often. <BR> <BR>The list at http://www.timeout.com/paris/eat/res...s_/budget.html contains a few worthwhile ideas. <BR> <BR>When you're really hungry, and want a lot of food at a resonable price, there are Argentine "steakhouses" everywhere in Paris. Some of them are crappy, but the Latina population withIN Paris has listed the following restaurants on their website: www.latina.fr/restaurants/argentine.phtml - - so they may be better than some of the others. <BR> <BR>I personally like Butte en Vigne, not far from Place du Tertre on Montmartre. Every restaurant up there commands a little bit of a premium, so you might argue that it isn't "cheap eats", but I think the price is good for what you get. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Bob Brown Mar 10th, 2001 02:41 PM

For cafes in the 6th, Bistro de la Gare is not bad, and the prices are ok for Paris. <BR>It is located near the intersection of Boulevard Montparnasse and rue de Rennes. If you are walking on rue de Rennes toward the Montparnasse Tower, the Bistro is to your right. There are several places to eat in that area. <BR>

Ismael Mar 10th, 2001 02:54 PM

Marsch, <BR>two good and inexpensive restaurants: <BR>"Au Bistrot de la Sorbonne" (4, rue Toullier, near the Panthéon) and "La Forge" (14, rue Pasca, at the end of rue Mouffetard) <BR>Enjoy, Ismael

Peg Mar 10th, 2001 03:35 PM

Just back from a great trip to Paris. So many fabulous meals, some expensive, some cheap! One great find was Chez Germain at 30 rue Pierre-Leroux in the 7th. (Metro Vaneau) For 70 francs, you will receive three courses and wine! The dining room is run by two no nonsense women, telling you where to sit and the place fills up very quickly. I was seated at a table alone and was soon joined by an elderly woman with an apple doll face wearing red glasses with gold chains and sporting a red plaid chapeaux. I had a lentil vinegrette salad, roast veal and potatoes au gratin followed by creme de marrons. She seemed very happy with her liver and onions and parslied potatoes. Don't plan on lingering over coffee as the vultures circling behind are waiting for your seat. It was a great experience in a true neighborhood bistro with the regulars enjoying their favorites! Ph #01 42 73 28 34. Book it or wait in line!!

Jane Mar 10th, 2001 04:25 PM

I like to eat cheaply at Chinese restaurants, of which the 6th has many good ones. They usually have a small eat-in area, otherwise take it to a park or your room. Bon appetit!

Mary Mar 10th, 2001 07:06 PM

NO! NO! NO! do NOT eat chinese in Paris! it is AWFUL! only eat Vietnamese if you are going to eat asian. there are plenty of them, especially in the 5th and they are cheap. I've stayed in Paris on the super cheap, the inexpensive and the moderate modes, but it all depends on what YOU mean by cheap? Remember, if you've never been before, you can go to lots of brasseries in areas you MIGHT think are out of your range and just have a omelette or just have a filling soupe l'oignion gratinee! you can stay there forever and watch the scene! Try finding places that have plat du jour as well, these are flat rates, but note, generally if you order wine or cafe, it's extra and that's where they'll get you! Also Note, a great way to go - in the Marais on Rue de Rosier there are several falafel places that fill you up without spending much at all! Have a great time!

Caitlin Mar 10th, 2001 07:11 PM

I will add my recommendation for the Leeds Good Value Guide to Paris Restaurants; you can buy the whole guide (pay via credit card and they will email it to you or you can download it). It is updated pretty frequently, arranged conveniently by arrondissement, and features a variety of cuisines. Many of the places are not very touristed. <BR> <BR>I have no connection to the Leeds guide, I just found it valuable on my trip to Paris last year. www.parisinsiderguide.com/leeds

Melissa Mar 10th, 2001 09:47 PM

Are you kidding? I have had good Chinese food in Paris. One is Mirama (don't know why it has a Japanese name) at 17 rue St. Jacques. We also had wonderful, wonderful Chinese food in Paris Chinatown, past Place d'Italie. <BR> <BR>I always tell people to go to Le Fete Gallant at 13 rue des Ecoles Polytechnique. Their prix fixe menus are wonderfully inexpensive.

Rex Mar 11th, 2001 02:12 PM

to the top for "marsch" - - <BR> <BR>You may have thought that this message thread disappeared. It didn't. There's just so traffic here on this forum (so much more than the average "newbie" would ever imagine) that a message gets badly buried in 24 hours or so. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR> <BR>