Berner Oberland - NEED some advice on itinerary, things to do and hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:17 AM
gpm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berner Oberland - NEED some advice on itinerary, things to do and hotels

Dear all,
I will be in Zurich next week, until Tuesday morning, and would like to go visit Berner Oberland from Tuesday to Thursday (going to Bern after it). I have read some posts in this forum, but still have some doubts and would appreciate your advice:
- Itinerary and things do do in these 2 days: we are a young couple (30's) who want to relax, do some hikes and see nice panoramas.
- Hotel for these 2 nights: Murren, Lauterbrunnen or somewhere else?
Thank you so much for your help.
gpm
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM

I stayed in Murren last September and loved it. It is only a 15 minute ride down to lauterbrunnen. Very relaxing up in the mountains. But it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to hang out and go for some walks/hikes then I would suggest Murren.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll still find some snow because it's been cold and rainy the past 3 weeks. Next week is supposed to warm up (finally) so you might get lucky with the weather.

Please research Berner Oberland on the board cuz there's lots of good info available.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM

We spent a wonderful week in the Berner Oberland last month.

At that time, many (most) of the hotels and restaurants in Wengen and Murren were closed, so we stayed in Lauterbrunnen. For us, this was a perfect location, because the town is a real transportation hub for the area.

However, Wengen and Murren are both charming. Either of them or Lauterbrunnen would be fine as a base for hiking and sightseeing.

In April, there was no snow in Lauterbrunnen and below, but still plenty in the higher elevations.

We loved taking the cable cars (four I think) to Shilthorn, and the trains up to Jungfraujoch. The Lauterbrunnen Valley with its waterfalls and sheer granit walls is lovely, too

Actually, I have run out of adjectives to describe the beauty of the area. I can say, though, that photographs do not do it justice!

Have a wonderful time!

Byrd
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Just go. You won't regret it.