Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap (but nice) sleeps in Lake Region of Italy???

Notices

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:07 PM
Denise

Similar to my other post. Does anyone know of a nice Pension, hotel, B&B, etc in Como, Maggiore or Lake Garda area that is less than $150.00 per night in high season? Trying to cut down on costs somewhere.
Did anyone ever hear of or stay at Albergo Villa Belvedere (listed in Karen Brown's guide)?

Thanks again,
Denise

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Denise, I give you an A for persistence. However, a good search will get you better results than a shotgun. Hotels at Bellagio have been covered in great detail at least 2 dozen times. The consensus is that the Belvedere is hard to beat--I concur.
The Du Lac or Florence are also very adequate 3 stars in Bellagio. Do you plan to hit all 3 of these Lakes? They are all wonderful but you will need several days. Good luck !

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:37 PM
Denise

Sorry for being persistent Bob, but I have been searching till all hours of the night and the prices I am being quoted for the hotels that keep on coming up on this site(Belvedere-not the one in Karen Brown's book, Villa Flori, the Aminta (forgot name in Stressa you recommended) are about $170 per night in July 2002. The Hotel Florence is a bit less without a lake view. I rather go with someone's opinion who has first hand experience than what is listed in the books. Believe me Bob, I have enought print outs to fill 2 looseleafs! I am also trying to help my brother, Ron, who is leaving for Italy in November.I didn't mean to bother anyone, so I apologize if I did.

Sincerely,
Denise

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
bettyk

A couple of years ago, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Grand Imperiale in Moltrasio. It was quite nice and right on the lake. Had a great restaurant on the Lake also. I don't know when you are going, but I just checked the BW website and you can get a double room with King bed in October for around $110 by booking in advance. We paid around $130 when we went and thought it was a bargain!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:49 PM
StCirq

Denise: Try doing a search for the Hotel Italie et Suisse in Stresa. It's been a few years since we were there (4 I think), but we paid WELL under $150 for a huge room for four with a bathroom big enough to rollerblade in. The staff were so friendly we thought we were family members, and it's right across the street from the main boat landing, which makes getting around the islands a breeze. Our room was at the back of the hotel on a small street and was quiet - rooms on the front might be noisy.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:07 PM
coco

Denise,
You might look into the Excelsior Splendide--right along the water front in Bellagio just up the street from the Florence, du Lac etc. Not sure why this hotel remains so inexpensive, but it is really quite charming plus location, location, location. Ask for a lake front and be prepared to swoon! It's easily under $100 per night with breakfast. I know there are pictures and such available on various Italy hotel web sites.

On my first visit to Bellagio in March of 97--this was the only hotel to respond to my faxes and turned out to be the only hotel open that early. I now stay either with friends or at the Villa Serbollini, but still feel fond of this hotel and the colorful woman who runs it!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Stephanie

Denise -

We stayed at Albergo Villa Belvedere in May for one night. I think it was approximately $160/night but that included both breakfast and dinner. While the rooms are pretty basic but very clean and the bathrooms are new - the view was amazing. The room my husband and I had had small twin beds but the room my parents had (same price) had a nice double bed and was quite a bit larger. Both rooms looked out over the lake. The day we were there it was raining and they had a wonderful fire in the sitting room where everyone gathered and visited before dinner. The dinner was great - the only thing extra was the wine which was very reasonably priced. We had stayed in a wonderful 4 star hotel in Tuscany and while the rooms didn't compare - the hospitality made it a very enjoyable experience. I would certainly stay there again. One thing to note - there is not really anything in Albergo - we drove north and took the ferry to Bellagio. After we got back we discovered that we could have caught the ferry right next to the hotel - the ferry stops at a number of towns around the lake including Como and Bellagio.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:54 PM
Denise

Thank you so much for our replies. I will check out the Excelsior Splendid and inquire about the Albergo Belvedere for price.

Denise

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:44 PM
Holly

Another vote for the Excelsior Splendide. I stayed there in April '97 and the prices were unbelievably low. It's right in the center of everything, and the rooms are HUGE by European standards. They put me in a lakefront room for one night, but moved me to a room on the side of the building for the duration of the stay, which faced an old villa on the side of the hill, still with views of the lake (and a sunroof in the bathroom!). I liked that room much better than the lakefront. There was a website for the hotel not too long ago, but the page seems to have disappeared.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:57 AM
Denise

By any chance does anyone have the email or phone number for the Excelsior Spledide?

Thanks,
Denise

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:33 AM
Mike

You could try looking for postings about Silvio, but here's the rundown I can give you. Only a two star hotel, very good restaurant, right on shore on south western entry to Bellagio. Lovely, lovely view, as good as the centre of town (barring Belvedere). Easy, short, flat walk to town. Web site www.bellagiosilvio.com. You're looking at $60 B&B for two (crazy cheap, I just don't understand). I only ate there, so find someone who's actually seen the rooms. No credit cards. Room on web site/in brochure looks clean and fresh, but that's obviously all I can tell you, because I didn't stay. And, if you find previous postings, evidence is that they sell out early!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:39 AM
Holly

Don't know their email address. Following info is from a 1997 brochure:

Phone (031) 950225
Fax (031) 951224

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Denise, Try these:
www.bellagiolakecomo.com
www.stresa.net

Good luck !