Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap, but clean, hotel near Russel Square, London

Jun 19th, 1997, 04:15 PM
Michelle

I'm starting a tour from Russel Square and need help finding a hotel that is priced preferrably less than 50 pounds. I would also like private bath. Does this place exist? If not at Russel Square any close by suggestions?
Thank you
Michelle.

Jun 20th, 1997, 10:30 AM
maura

Michelle, my husband and I just got back from London, and we stayed in the Ruskin (23-24 Montague Street, fax 0171 323 1662). We really liked this hotel and we'd stay there again. It's less than a block from Russell Square, about two blocks from the tube station, and right beside the British Museum. The hotel is well maintained, rooms are spotless, we found the staff to be helpful and pleasant. For a single room I think the price is 41 pounds (includes breakfast but with shared wc and shower). There are a few ensuite rooms (private bath) that are more expensive. For what it's worth we also were looking for an ensuite room but we were perfectly satisfied with the shared facilities--no problems whatsoever.
If you do stay at the Ruskin, the Museum Wine Bar across the street is a nice, quiet place for lunch or drinks--good sandwiches.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Jun 20th, 1997, 01:28 PM
Joe

"Cheap but clean" could be the slogan of the Royal National, which is just down the street from Russell Sq. It's big, impersonal and lacking in charm, but it's inexpensive and dependable. And because it's a modern bldg., I think that all the rooms have baths.

Jun 29th, 1997, 07:02 PM
Michelle

Thank-you Maura and Joe for your helpful information, I'm can't wait tp go. Though i've got alot of saving to do first!
thanks again Michelle

Jul 4th, 1997, 06:37 AM
amy

try the tavistock in tavistock square...not far from russell square

Jul 18th, 1997, 01:44 PM
S C DIXON

WE HAD A VERY NICE STAY AT THE CELTIC HOTEL. IT IS ABOUT TWO BLOCKS FROM THE BLOOMSBURY TUBE STATION AND IS ON THE EDGE OF RUSSELL SQ. IT HAS A CERTAIN DEGREE OF CHARM, AND THE HOSTS ARE NICE, THE BREAKFAST, ALTHOUGH TRAD. BRITISH FARE, WAS PRETTY GOOD. THE PLACE WAS CLEAN . 3 OF US RENTED A ROOM WITH THREE BEDS FOR ABOUT 75 POUNDS PER NIGHT. WITHIN 3-4 BLOCKS OF BRITISH MUSEUM AND JUST A FEW STEPS FROM A VERY NICE PUB, "THE FRIEND AT HAND"...IF YOU WANT THE ADDRESS SEND ME AN E-MAIL...HECK, SEND ME AN E-MAIL FROM LONDON, ASK AROUND AND YOU WILL FIND COMPUTER TIME FOR RENT BY THE HOUR...ITS FUN TO E-MAIL THE POOR DREGS AT HOME, FRIENDS AND FAM. AND TELL THEM WHAT A SWELL TIME YOU'RE HAVING...AND YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME! VISIT THE MUSEUM TAVERN MID AFTERNOON WHEN IT'S QUIET AND TELL BARTENDER JOHN "HOWDY" FROM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ! (LIKE HE'S GOING TO REMEMBER ME...)
SCDIXON

Aug 12th, 1997, 09:53 AM
angela

The Royal National was a pretty decent hotel. I stayed there on my 1st trip to London which was a group trip from my high-school. Everyone in my group had a private bath so I assume that all of the other guests had them as well. Its nothing extravagant, but quite decent. Its very close to the Russell Square tube stop and a couple of nice grocery stores which we all stopped at frequently. Great British snacks and a good way to save some money too! The bar downstairs at the Royal National was good for meeting people. We met all kinds from every corner of the world so it was a pretty good time.

Aug 29th, 1997, 04:00 PM
Christie

I read your message about the Royal National and was
wondering how much it cost per night (in pounds) for a double room. I'm going to be in London on Sept.10 and am looking for cheap and clean accommodations. Please help!

Sep 18th, 1997, 06:54 PM
Audrey

sending to the top for student staying in Russel Square