Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cheap Breakfast in Belgravia - Impossible? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cheap-breakfast-in-belgravia-impossible-472473/)

lkarpiloff Sep 6th, 2004 03:25 PM

Cheap Breakfast in Belgravia - Impossible?

Greetings Fodorites:
We will be staying in London in a few weeks in the Belgravia area, near Belgrave Square. Does anyone have any recommendations for **inexpensive** places in the immediate area where one could eat a hearty breakfast? The thought of paying $40 USD for breakfast at a hotel makes us lose our appetite.
Kindly advise -- all input welcome -- as are "greasy spoons" (local places where office workers might grab a bite prior to working).
Thanks!

flanneruk Sep 6th, 2004 11:33 PM

The sociology of this is important.

Local - or any other - office workers rarely go to greasy spoons before starting work. Greasy spoons, and their wonderful variations on black puddings, bubble and fried slices, depend on people with the kind of jobs that genuinely need lots of calories - before work or as a 9 am break after a couple of hours biking messages or housepainting or whatever. Office workers used to pick up a styrofoam mug of milky tea from them. But Starbucks and their imitators have pretty much killed that.

Greasy spoons attract just the kind of riffraff Belgravia doesn't want parking their white vans outside the embassies. So I can't think of anywhere that meets your brief in the rectangle bounded by Sloane Street, Eaton Sq, Grosvenor Place and Knightsbridge: you really need to go to the badlands round Victoria Station for a plate of properly-cooked, nourishing protein.

If OTOH new-age junk food will do (like cholesterol-packed, inedible croissants or "Danish" pastries), there's millions of the places round Sloane Sq, and a few in the rows of shops in and off Lowndes St. It is possible that, by careful inspection, you'll find one that offers real food as well. But when faced with the problem, I've always concluded the walk to Victoria will let me do justice to the glories of the English breakfast.

With luck, this might provoke someone from the manor to make a more useful suggestion.

GSteed Sep 7th, 2004 12:09 AM

How about the 'Food Court' in Victoria Station? And McDonald's is available. Or do it yourself from Tesco or similar.

m_kingdom2 Sep 7th, 2004 03:06 AM

Belgravia is a mainly residential area whose occupants 9 times out of ten will have breakfast before leaving home. As you've already discovered, hotel breakfasts will cost more.

As others have suggested, you can go to a delicatessen or café and pick up some pastries/patisserie, but I'm quite certain you won't be able to find a "full English". 40USD isn't really that much to pay for breakfast - why not try it once, and if it's unremarkable then don't bother with it again? That's what I usually do if breakfast isn't included in my rate.

However, a far more practical solution would be to have an early lunch, you've a wealth of places in all price ranges offering this.

PatrickLondon Sep 7th, 2004 03:12 AM

I'd be interested to see the reaction when MK2 pops into - well anywhere normal, really - and says 40USD isn't a lot to pay for breakfast. I suspect the most moderate response is likely to be 'Yer avin a larf, aincher'.

flanneruk Sep 7th, 2004 03:44 AM

I can - just - understand how someone might pay £15 for a couple of curled-up cucumber sandwiches, a slice of cinnamon toast and a scone if they've been conned into thinking that paying preposterous prices for tea is part of the Great English Experience.

But paying £25 for bacon and eggs is a serious signal to bring on the men in white coats. And you don't even get a left-over copy of someone else's Sun.

If there were a place in London that actually did do the kedgeree from the sideboard, "care for some devilled grouse, M'Lud?" routine from every novel about Edwardian country houses, it might be worth trying. But that's not what happens in posh London hotels.

You get a Kosovan waiter, baffled by what people eat at breakfast, serving worse scrambled eggs than the men in the paint-stained overalls are getting over the road for a tenth of the price. And then getting the tea and coffee orders wrong, and forgetting to bring the toast. And not offering tips for the 3.30 at Goodwood for free.

Even though most of London's posh hotels have been cunningly located to be as far from real breakfast places as possible, it's always worth the walk to stoke up on the original Atkins diet.

londonengland Sep 7th, 2004 04:20 AM

FlannerUK as ever is on top form! You could try Benjy's a no frills sandwich bar and cafe in Victoria Place which is attached to Victoria station

bigboy72712 Sep 7th, 2004 04:43 AM

I think the price of breakfasts in Europe are too expensive. $40.00 for eggs, ham, toast, coffee, potatoes; juice, is just stupid. Where we live in Arkansas a good breakfast for two costs
no more then $20.00 with a $3.00 tip!
We will be in Europe Tuesday the 14th
I have budgeted about 80 Euro per day for food thats $95.00 USD, but when I tell people how much we have for food they call me a cheapskate! I know some people will spend a lot more at the fancy restaurants 50-60 euro for dinner,
but to me that is crazy and a waste of money and I am almost rich!

m_kingdom2 Sep 7th, 2004 04:57 AM

"Where we live in Arkansas"

Arkansas, according to my atlas, isn't in Europe. Wages in Europe, produce in Europe, taxes in Europe, etcetera, are all higher than in Arkansas, hence their increased cost in Europe. Simple really.

Fair enough you don't want to spend a relatively large amount on food, but I am dying to know what "almost rich!" is leading to - what figure is rich?

bigboy72712 Sep 7th, 2004 05:04 AM

To me, 0ne Million Dollars net worth and above is rich. The prices in Europe are twice as much as America, 1 Pound of bacon or ham in America is about $3.00, eggs per dz are about $1.25 etc,etc

Tulips Sep 7th, 2004 05:09 AM

If you walk to Knightsbridge, or to Sloane Square, you will find lots of place like Pret-a-Manger, where you can get coffee.
There's a place just opposite Harrod's called 'Eat' (part of a chain) where we had a good bacon butty for breakfast.
Next to the Sheraton Tower, Knightsbridge (not a long walk) is a restaurant where they serve a good breakfast with eggs, bacon. Can't remember the price, but it was a lot cheaper than the hotel!
I really cannot think of anywhere closer to Belgrave Square.

degas Sep 7th, 2004 05:21 AM

Skip breakfast and eat an early lunch?

Trying to find a "full" breakfast place often slows us down so we usually just grab coffee and a pastry enroute to our first event for the day.

Tallulah Sep 7th, 2004 05:34 AM

Hi! I'd head towards Victoria - you'll find loads of little cafes (thanks to the proximity to both the train and coach stations) but they're too small to realistically be listed anywhere on the internet. I would imagine that they're also likely to be cheaper than heading Sloane Square way. Don't go into either station as it will be a) a rip-off and b) rubbish!

m_kingdom2 Sep 7th, 2004 05:43 AM

": To me, 0ne Million Dollars net worth and above is rich"

Many thanks for the definition of rich.

nytraveler Sep 7th, 2004 05:57 AM

"To me, 0ne Million Dollars net worth and above is rich."

Well bigBoy - I'm sure that is rich - in Arkansas. However, in other parts of the world - major cities for instance - that really isn;t rich at all. (Where I live, in Manhattan, the average price for an apartment is now in excess of $1 million. And everything else costs accordingly more.)

If you really want a modest breakfast - fine. But you do need to understand that most everyplace else is going to cost more - significantly more in major cities - than Arkansas. After all, Arkansas is very inexpensive - because - you're in Arkansas.

nytraveler Sep 7th, 2004 06:03 AM

Sorry - one additional note. I just spoke to the beau about this one becuase I doubted my perspesctive - and he agrees:

An income of $1 million per year is certainly comfortably well off. But a net worth of $1 million - at least in this area, and assuming you are not just starting off in life - is really just hanging onto the middle class.

Tallulah Sep 7th, 2004 06:31 AM

Gosh... I'm not sure that I should be allowed to join in your little gang at all. By your standards I'm clearly near destitute.

If anyone coming to London in the next few months would like to take me out for dinner that would be much appreciated - I have only just been made aware that I actually can't afford to eat here...

Yours EVER so humbly,

Tallulah x

degas Sep 7th, 2004 06:34 AM

Tallulah, I salute you! Its often not so much what you make, but how you spend it. Living well without money is a rare art!

Tallulah Sep 7th, 2004 06:45 AM

Degas:

I know! Before we know it there'll be a round of 'My-daddy's-bigger-than-your-daddy' next!!

P_M Sep 7th, 2004 07:24 AM

To the OP, we enjoyed a small restaurant called Greens Cafe, or something with "Green" in the name. It's near Victoria Station.

"..I am almost rich." That's a new one on me. I have never heard anyone describe themselves that way. I am amused, yet I agree that 50-60 euros is too much for a meal, and I am nowhere near rich, at least by your standards. :-)