Search

Cheap Apartments in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Apartments in Paris

Hi All!
I'm hoping to go to Paris for the month in either April or May this year. I'm signing up for some French classes and some small tours etc... I'm looking for a cheap place to stay for the month. I've been searching websites like Paris Attitude, Book-A-Flat, Lodgis and those similar. I can't seem to find anything for cheaper than 1600 euro for the month. It seems that places will be advertised for 900 euro a month but then once you add up the agency fees, the electricity/gas/internet costs, apartment insurance fees, security deposits etc, it adds another 900 or so euros. Does anyone have any advice of where else to look? I'm trying to avoid sketchy situations like renting some random guys apartment off Craigslist (since I'm a solo female traveler). There must be options like universities renting out dorm rooms or safer/higher end type hostels to look at? Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Have you tried Vrbo?

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe/france

Tell me what you think!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ditto97,
I was on there earlier and I can't seem to figure out how to search by rental price! There are hundreds to pick through but it still looks a bit pricey for me...
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM

try nacation in paris no security deposits ,you pay a small insurance fee
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM

<<There must be options like universities renting out dorm rooms or safer/higher end type hostels to look at?>>

Check into the universities. As for hostels, if they rent by the night, then you're looking at 30x the rate for whatever you seek. If you can get a private room for 30E per night with a bathroom, ok (and surprising). If not, that's a sketchy situation.

Check the Thorn Tree Forum on Lonely Planet with this same question.

Do NOT go with VRBO in a foreign country unless you trust the owner (lots of good reviews from Americans and Canadians) or the owner is US based so you can sue him/her later. Otherwise, it's unprotected.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM

You aren't going to get any room in a university as a tourist, they are for students. Even when they have some vacant rooms to rent out, it is to students, not just random tourists. And then it is in summer, students are there during the school year.

Of course there are hostels, but they don't allow people for a month, as far as I know, but you can move around, I guess. I've never heard of any being dangerous.

There are some private residence halls that are not strictly tied to the university for interns, students, etc. where you could possibly get a room. Foreigners sometimes stay in these. Those might be 50 euro a day or just in your budget. But in theory, they are not just for tourists, either. In summer, I think they are more liberal, but probably not in April (I know some woman who got a room in one for month in summer who wasn't within the age range or an intern). Here is one I know of, their daily rate for an individual is 63 euro, though. Don't know if you meeet their conditions
http://www.fiap.asso.fr/tarifs.html

I think you are being somewhat unrealistic as you want a place for 400 euro a week, including insurance and all fees and utilities. Actually that Fiap Jean Monnet place was close to that.

Maybe places by owners like VRBO or Homeaway are your best bet, but those aren't that different from Craigslist. Maybe a little, I would trust them more than Craigslist.

YOu are really being unrealistic that you don't expect to pay security deposits or are counting that deposit amount in your price you will pay.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Brooke, I spent April 2011 in this flat:
http://www.lcaruana.com/apt.index.html

Because I was staying for a month, they let me have it for 1000 euros. Worth checking out. Its a cute place, but don't rent it if you don't like to climb stairs. It is very centrally located which is a plus.

Homelidays is a good place to look for budget rentals but as one poster mentioned above be sure to only go for places with plenty of reviews (I don't really care where they are from though, as long as the reviews are good.)
http://www.homelidays.co.uk/

I had also considered this place but since I did not stay there, I can't say how it was -
http://www.paris-lafayette.net/

Budget rentals are out there, you just have to look hard to find the good ones and definitely post what you find here.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Brooke, at this date I would be leery of any apartment that was free for the month. You may have to move, two weeks in one place and 2 weeks in another.

I would consider a hostel, St Christophers is near Canal Martin, and two 18 yr old girls from my work stayed there and said it was clean and decent, but you will take the metro to most tourist sites.

I have also heard good things about the MIJE hostels.

Good luck, but I seriously think finding something vacant for a month is going to be a bit of long shot.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Centreparis is known for lowest rates. You also might want to check out Airbnb. I am not recommending either, only stating that you can find lower rates. (There are plenty of reviews for both on the Paris forum on Trip Advisor.)

With Airbnb, pay attention to whether the entire property is yours or you'll be sharing with the owner.

I disagree that you should be suspicious of any property still available for an entire month this April or May. Though the most popular properties do book up far ahead, along those offered by often recommended on all the travel forums agencies (such as Vacation in Paris), that doesn't mean plenty of lesser known properties aren't just fine, if available.