Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chatsworth House affected by Hoof & Mouth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Ela

I know this is a dreaded topic for some on this board because it has been mentioned so often, but I've heard confilicting remarks so I wanted to clear things up. <BR> <BR>I'm going to Chatsworth House in England in the beginning of October and I heard that the house has already been open to the public, but that the grounds are restricted - is this true? I heard that the gardens and grounds surrounding Chatsworth was the best part, so I was a little dissapointed. Any thoughts?

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Betty

This site should give the answers you seek. <BR> <BR>http://www.openbritain.gov.uk/

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Janine

I am not sure about the hoof and mouth situation. But Chatsworth is definitely worth visiting even if access to the grounds is restricted. I found the history and interior of the House to be both fascinating and magnificent.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Claire

I was at Chatsworth a couple of weeks ago. Didn't visit - just driving by. There were disinfected straw "beds" to drive through at each end of the estate. There were loads of people enjoying the grounds - walking, picnicing, even playing in the river. Plenty of sheep around. I guess dogs would have to be kept on leashes, for the sheep if nothing else. <BR>Enjoy your visit!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:28 AM
JP

www.chatsworth.org