Chateaux in Tours, France?

Jan 19th, 2000, 12:39 PM
J Kryger

Chateaux in Tours, France?

I will be in Tours, France in June and am interested in staying in a chateaux. Any advice. Any "must see sites" or activities?

Jan 19th, 2000, 02:00 PM
Sheila

It's about 10 years since I did this so I went to get my old guides and ma reminded that Michelin do a "Chateaux of the Loire" guide. I could only find it in French so it made our tourism a bit more hit and miss than we intended.

The "best" chateaux we visited near Tours were Azay le Rideau- beautiful fairytale built on the river and Chenonceau for pure majesty.

Can I also encourage a visit to the Vouvray Caves; and of course the cathedral. And if you have any interest in history read the Joan of Arc story and the Jeanne d'Arc one. They are VERY different.

Jan 19th, 2000, 04:45 PM
steve

It has been 30 years (gulp!!) but my family stayed at the Chateau du Gue Pean near Montrichard. It was interesting and I'm sure quite expensive. I think they still take guests.

Jan 20th, 2000, 12:45 AM
TJ

The Chateau-de-Chissay is located just a few minutes from Chenonceau, and not too far from Tours. It's a 15th century castle with decent rooms, a very nice pool, and a very good restaurant, all included at a reasonable price.

Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:04 AM
Byrd

In June of 1998, our group of four couples stayed at Chateau de Rochecotte, located close to Tours. We loved it, and had a great dinner at the restaurant. And we're still talking about the pastries for breakfast! If you are interested, I can find address and phone numbers.

Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:06 AM
Byrd

Correction--we were in France in October of 98, not June!

Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:30 AM
Dayle

I also stayed at the Chateau de Chissay and loved it. It was a good base for touring the Loire. From there I visited Amboise, Villandry (famous gardens), Chenonceau, Chambord, Blois, Cheverny, and Azay le Rideau. Each was unique and very interesting. Tours itself is a much bigger city than I expected and I would not want to stay there, although other Fodorites have enjoyed it.