Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

chateau veaux le vicomte or Chateau Of Vincennes?

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will be in Paris with 13 year old granddaughter in April. Trying to decide between going to Chateau Vincennes or Chateau Le Vicomte......any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 01:00 PM

They are not really similar at all. The Chateau le Vicomte is a personal residence. It is a very nice chateau and particularly interesting as an architectural specimen and for the work of Le Brun (and the architects Le Vau and Le Notre for the gardens). it dates from mid1600s.

Chateau de Vincennes is Medieval and was a royal fortress.

Personally, I think the Chateau de Vincennes is more interesting historically, easier to get to, and I suspect might be of more interest to a child (it has a donjon, keep and various buildings, and a lot of historical uses). Chateau le Vicomte is more attractive and homey. And it does have some gardens, although I don't think they are that outstanding compared to others you could see, anyway, around Paris (like at Fontainebleau or Versailles or Chantilly).

Chantilly is another one you could consider in a chateau visit. It has other things of interst, and nice gardens (plus an art gallery inside). It's very Disney-esque in appearance, I think. It also has horse stables nearby to visit. http://www.domainedechantilly.com/en/
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Two completely different experiences. Château de Vincennes has the advantage of being accessible by metro.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Vaux le Vicomte was so beautiful that his owner Fouchet went in disgrace because the king found it overshadowed Versailles.

I have nver visited inside Vincennes, but I absoultey love Vaux le Vicomte.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 10:23 PM

Vaux le Vicomte, no question.
Though getting to Chateau de Vincennes is much easier, it will be well worth it to make the effort to get to Vaux le Vicomte.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 06:02 AM

"Homey" is not a word that ever came into my mind to describe Vaux. It is privately owned, but it doesn't resemble any home I've ever been to! And, as someone who can kill any plant just by looking at it, I find the gardens there extremely beautiful.

I've never been to the ch. de Vincennes, although it's been on my list. But I suspect they're very different experiences.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who replied, very interesting and helpful
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:28 AM

The 13-year-old might want to read up on both of them, as they are very different historically and in every other way. It helps to know something of the history of what you're visiting, even if you're only 13.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Any reason why you can't do both? I loved Vincennes, because I have a soft soft for stark fortresses, but I don't think it takes too long to visit. Vaux-le-Vicomte is grand and gorgeous. Two very different experiences.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:00 PM

We went to Vaux-le-Viscomte in May 2014, and it was fantastic.

However, scores of the visitors were dressed in period costumes, picnicing, strolling the grounds, socializing, etc.,...it was like going into a time machine.

Some came from the parking lot already dressed and other rented costumes at the chateau.

I'm not sure if this was something done frequently, or whether we just lucked out and visited on a special day, but it was an amazing day.

We took the train and then a bus.

ssander
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 01:51 AM

Note...

We took the train to Melun, which is in zone 5, so it is no doubt now included with the 21.25€ week pass.

Then there was a bus...I think a couple of euros...and a short ride to the chateau.

ssander
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 02:05 AM

Just found out about the day that people were in costume:

http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/2017-future-events/

It's the Grand Siècle Day – Sunday June 11, 2017 this year...so we were just lucky to have visited the chateau on that day in 2014.

NOTE: I just checked my records...the bus from Melun to the chateau was 7€ round trip -- but 4€ for us (seniors)...in 2014...mprobably more this year...but in 2014 we had to pay for the train, because our week-pass didn't cover zone 5.

ssander
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 03:49 AM

I agree with StCirq's opinion, that you could let the 13-year-old child read up on both chateaux then decide. They are totally different kinds of castle, once you know their kind you can decide in a blink: Vaux-le-Viscomte is an ornate castle and garden, while Château de Vincennes is more like a fortress, with a dark history.

I risk being called sexist here, because I think your granddaughter might prefer Vaux-le-Viscomte, I don't know if fortress and dungeon and medieval towers of Château de Vincennes would interest her. Again, it's up to her to read about them.