Chateau Roussan vs Presbytere St Thomas

Feb 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Chateau Roussan vs Presbytere St Thomas

We're looking to firm up reservations for four days/nocs in St Remy and are considering one of these two places to stay. Reviews of Chateau Roussan sound very mixed (we are cat people however). Presbytere St. Thomas looks quite nice. Has anyone stayed in either place and can you comment. Please also advise how long a trip into St. Remy by car from Prebytere.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM

I don't know the St thomas but the Roussan is only 2km from saint-Remy. The road leading up has the beautiful plane trees. I would describe it as shabby chic. I'll see what I can find on the St Thomas for you.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Maybe a little shabby, but that's mostly in terms of the antique furniture. We liked the place quite a lot, especially the lovely grounds with the cats and the swans and the geese. The only problem can be the bathrooms, some of which are quite elderly and small; you need to ask when you book. The large ground-floor room has a lovely new bathroom, however.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I checked out the other place. It looks charming and by one map, off either the N570 or the D99 it is the exact distance between St remy, Les Baux and Tarascon. It looks typical, lovely Provencal B&B but, remember Roussan is a chateau, why not stay two in each as they are VERY DIFFERENT.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM

We stayed at the Presbytere last summer and found it great. The proprietress was a sweetheart...not a lot of English, but I was able to communicate in my broken French. I think it probably took us about 10-15 minutes to get into town. It was really never an issue, although I thought it might be. The breakfasts were wonderful--lots of preserves and various breads and fruit. The room we had had a nice bathroom, lots of tile. Provencial fabrics everywhere. We were quite comfortable. There is certainly a lot to do within not much of a distance. Don't miss the market in St. Remy! I would recommend this B&B without hesitation.
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:35 PM

I'm staying at the Presbytere on my trip in May. It looks lovely, and Madame has been charming on the phone. I like the fact that she doesn't speak English, forcing me to speak my limited French!

Wren, do you think that 4 or 5 days is too much, though, due to the drive into St. Remy for dinner, etc.? I will be driving around many other places in the area, of course, but will be solo, so I don't want to go far at night. Would appreciate hearing what you think about that.
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM

It is a very easy drive from St. Remy, just straight down a main road...when you have done it once, it will not be hard for you at all. I think I could have spent another day or two there easily. You will enjoy Madame Gayte so much. I do not think you will regret it. But obviously there will be more people in St. Remy at night. It is very quiet at La Presbytere at night. In fact, the cigales are the only noise I heard at any point there at all!!! I was quite pleased with it!
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I'm proud to have been the first Fodorite to find the Presbytere St Thomas We were there for three nights and LOVED it. It is just off the D99 and couldn't be located better to get to so many places. After the first night, Madame put some English language literature about the area in our room...which was sweet. I really do hope to go back some day. It was a true "find" and I was happy when wren decided to try it too!
BTW, Marie Chantal has a couple of extremely well-trained dogs which you might notice on "her" side of the place, but nowhere around the guest side. I'm sure you can spend a lot more for a lot less in the area.
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Thanks Wren and UhOh. One of the reasons I was interested in this place was from your previous posts. Madame has already sent me an e-mail listing things to do in the area - she sounds so nice on the phone. Also, the quietness appeals to me - I'm not a nightlife person, and mostly enjoy a quiet night reading in my room, after busy days touring. So this sounds perfect for me - and a 10 or 15 minute drive into St. Remy for something to eat won't bother me. I hope she lets the dogs on the guest's side sometimes!
I adore dogs -and will be missing my 2 badly by that time.
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info.