Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Chateau de Malmaison OR Auvers Suroise?
Notices

Chateau de Malmaison OR Auvers Suroise?

Jun 10th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Chateau de Malmaison OR Auvers Suroise?

We are taking a Seine River cruise this summer. On one of the days, we have our choice of tours: Chateau de Malmaison or Auvers Suroise. I would really love to see both, and was thinking of going to Van Gogh's Auvers Suroise with the tour (since it appears to be farther from Paris central) and maybe going to Napoleon's Chateau de Malmaison on our own in our three extra days in Paris. BUT, we were also thinking that perhaps our "extra days" would be better spent in Paris, so that leaves us again with making a choice. We will be seeing Monet's Giverney, so that could possibly satisfy the "art" aspect for us!

For those who have been to either or both, which would you recommend?
Jun 10th, 2014, 02:57 PM

WE have been to both and enjoyed Auvers sur Oise more. We'd seen many chateaux and Malmaison was lovely. We just found Auvers sur Oise more evocative.....to stand where Van Gogh painted and see his grave was more meaningful to us.

Diffcult choice. If you've been to Paris many times I'd suggest a day trip to Malmaison. If you still have major sites in Paris to see, I would not.
Jun 10th, 2014, 02:59 PM

I've been to both a couple of times and enjoyed both immensely, but they are so different it's hard to pick one. It helps to know your history, for both Napoléon and Van Gogh, to appreciate either one of them. Auvers-sur-Oise also has a fabulous château devoted to the history of the Impressionist movement.
Jun 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM

I've been to Malmaison and while it was nice it isn't worth the time to get here with only 3 days in Paris. There are a couple of period houses that I thought were more interesting within Paris - Jacquemart-Andre or Nissim de Camondo.

Search this Thread