Chateau Chantilly on your own?

Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
aj

Chateau Chantilly on your own?

I am sorry, but I have done a search and can not find my original post from earlier this week. I would like to tour the chateau on my own not with a tour group. Is this possible. The only web site I can find is in french. Can anyone help with this question?

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
Bill

Hello,

Chantilly is a great place to visit and there is one person who works there that can give the tour in English.

The restaurant downstairs, The Capitainerie is fanatastic. There is also a horse museum there too, more grand than the Chateau, the prince thought he would be re-incarnated as a horse.

The only problem you will have is, how to get there. Easy if you rent a car, 40 minutes outside Paris.

Bill

Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Christina

I answered your previous post and said that you can tour some of the rooms with the art collection (paintings) on your own, and there is a nice gift shop, but I am pretty sure you cannot tour the more extensive apartments outside of a guided tour by a museum guide. And the tours are only in French, unless you make special arrangements for a group, then they can get other bilingual guide. So, you can see part of it, that's what I did. Otherwise, I suggested you just go on the tour and see what you can, anyway, doesn't seem you'd be any worse off since you said your husband couldn't hear guides well anyway.

I presume you do know you can easily get there by public transportation, either regular SNCF train or the suburban rail RER. YOu probably need to take a taxi from the rail station, it's a mile or two from there.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
aj

Christina and Bill,

Thanks for your help. I am sorry I could not find your original answers. I am still very iterested in seeing the chateau. Christina, even though you did not take the French tour did you feel it was worth the trip. I hear the grounds are nice? Bill I am also interested in the "stables".

Thanks again.

Search this Thread