Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chartres cathedral in the snow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chartres-cathedral-in-the-snow-868418/)

kerouac Dec 1st, 2010 09:30 PM

Chartres cathedral in the snow

I dropped into Chartres on Monday and decided to visit the cathedral for the first time in ages. Here is my report: http://tinyurl.com/26k4doe

For anybody wondering about a day trip, it is just a commuter train ride out of Paris-Montparnasse. It can even be combined with a trip to Versailles, because the Versailles-Chantiers station is on the same line. It's the farthest of the three Versailles stations from the château, but it is still walkable... or you can take a bus.

aussie_10 Dec 1st, 2010 10:09 PM

How pretty is the snow dusting on everything. Thanks for the pictures.

Suja Dec 2nd, 2010 12:06 AM

One of my fav cathedrals..thank you for posting the pics, now I want to go again!

di2315 Dec 2nd, 2010 12:57 AM

Thanks for those lovely pics,kerouac - we were there in August, so of course missed out on that pretty dusting of snow!

We stayed at Illiers-Combay; the original old hotel right by the railway station is now an excellent Logis establishment. The interior has a very modern decor that sits suprisingly well with the historical exterior (and the chef-owner creates excellent meals too). Di

kerouac Dec 2nd, 2010 01:38 AM

I used to take my grandmother to eat at that restaurant (there wasn't much choice in Illiers at the time).

kerouac Dec 2nd, 2010 01:38 AM

I used to take my grandmother to eat at that restaurant (there wasn't much choice in Illiers at the time).

emily71 Dec 2nd, 2010 02:46 AM

Lovely pictures-we were there when much of the church was under renovation so its nice to see how lovely it looks now.

irishface Dec 2nd, 2010 03:58 AM

Thanks for sharing! Your pictures are wonderful and the commentary with them makes a great story! Thank you too for sharing part of your grandmother with us.

Pat_in_Mich Dec 2nd, 2010 04:03 AM

Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Florida1 Dec 2nd, 2010 05:38 AM

I really enjoyed your photos and story, kerouac! We went to Chartres for the first time this past July. It is an amazingly beautiful cathedral. It was fun to see it with a dusting of snow.

Nikki Dec 2nd, 2010 06:12 AM

Snow already! You have us beat. If I ever make it to Chartres, it will be to see the blue. Test those rods and cones.

By the way, kerouac, on your recommendation (a year ago, but I've had a long list) I started reading Metronome yesterday. Extremely interesting, thank you. I also got the new illustrated companion volume, which adds considerably. When I return to Paris in March, I will be looking high and low to see things I have been overlooking.

One thing I learned from the book (my new thing a day for yesterday) was that the apartment in which I stayed a few years ago is built over the remains of one of the three original Roman baths, and the cellar is the oldest in Paris. Who knew?

denisea Dec 2nd, 2010 01:28 PM

really lovely pictures...I actually enjoyed all the pics of the surrounding buildings and restaurants as much as the cathedral...the snow just gave it all a visual plus!

cafegoddess Dec 3rd, 2010 06:07 AM

Thanks kerouac for the lovely story about your grandma and the beautiful pictures. You are a very interesting person.

jcg Dec 21st, 2010 08:05 AM

I wrote a paper on the Cathedral when I was 13 or 14. I am planning on finally seeing it sometime next year. Thanks for the photos and wonderful insight.

KTtravel Mar 15th, 2011 07:31 AM

Wonderful pictures and report!

PalenQ Mar 15th, 2011 07:55 AM

It's the farthest of the three Versailles stations from the château, but it is still walkable... or you can take a bus.>

and you can return to Paris not by going back to Versailles but hopping RER C back to Paris from right near the palace itself.

TPAYT Mar 15th, 2011 08:16 AM

How beautiful. We recently watched a TV program about how stained slass was made through the ages so it was interesting to see the windows and imagine how they made the colors.

Bookmarking for our next trip to Paris.

pdx Mar 15th, 2011 08:59 AM

I had a rush of anger and jealousy when I first saw your post. I've been wanting to go to Chartres for years since my first visit 20 years ago and this was the year but airfare is dangerously high and I might not get to go.

Jealousy is one of those vices I need to let go of; a trip to Chartres would be just the place to amend my ways. Chartres is the one cathedral that sort of transports me to medieval times and I can start to imagine the awe I would feel if I had walked for days from my muddy hut to this cavernous and colorful house of God.

Thanks kerouac, I'm glad you stopped by and took the time to share your photos.

VolCrew Mar 15th, 2011 10:14 AM

Thanks for the pics! I enjoy photographing old cathedrals, too.

kerouac Mar 15th, 2011 10:32 AM

I'm happy that some people rediscovered this thread and enjoyed it. :)