Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Charming place to stay near Sissinghurst for Garden Tour of England?

Mar 29th, 1999, 07:15 AM
Barbara Szudy

Attention all garden fanatics! My sister and I are off to England in June for our long-awaited tour of English gardens.
Sissinghurst, Hever and Great Dixter are our first stops, and we're looking for a place to stay for three or four that would be central for daytrips.

Our budget is around $100/night for hotel/b&b. We're looking for charming accomodations (of course) near a town since we're still trying to figure out if we have the courage to rent a car and drive. If not, we'll be walking into town for dinner.

Tunbridge Wells seems to be an interesting spot to settle in...has anyone stayed there? Any ideas on accomodations? Barbara

Mar 29th, 1999, 01:40 PM
Kat

Tunbridge Wells is a possibility; it's a large town and has several hotes and scores of smaller lodgings.

I'd look toward Rye, however. A charming, seaside village with lots of history and ambience. Rye is about 8 miles south of Northiam (Great Dixter); and Northiam is sort of 10 miles south of Sissinghurst. Hever is up at the north end of Kent but still accessible from Rye. Hever also can be done as a day trip. All three of these gardens are worth extra effort.

In Rye, these accommodations are affordable and affordably delightful:

Old Vicarage Hotel (not to be confused with a B&B named "The Old Vicarage"). (0797) 225131.

Another possibility, if your budget can stand it, is Gravetye Manor in East Grinstead. It's quite close to Hever (25 minute drive) but further from Sissinghust and Dixter (although both can be done in a day trip from Gravetye). Gravetye is simply wonderful and is located itself in William Robinson's historic (and now restored) garden. Robinson was the fellow who taught Gertrude Jekyll her stuff.

Little Orchard House (0797) 223831

In Rye, you might try either

Mar 29th, 1999, 04:49 PM
Ron

If you decide to drive, I can recommend:

Swale Cottage, Old Swaylands Lane, Off Poundbridge Lane, Penshurst, Kent TN11 8AH Tel: (0892) 870738

Converted 300 year old barn. This is the B&B against which I rate other B&Bs in the UK; a few match but none have surpassed. Curren price is probably in the 55-60 range. Cynthia Dakin is the exemplary proprietor.

It is less than a mile from Penshurst Place, which has a garden worth visiting and less than 5 miles from Hever Castle. There is an article about Penshurst place in the April 1999 issue of "in Britain" magazine.

Mar 29th, 1999, 05:27 PM
Joanna

I can tell you where NOT to stay, which is the hotel in the village of Sissinghurst. The walls are paper thin - I could hear snoring from the room next door all night. Also, the room heater did not work and it was COLD - so the snoring and being cold kept me awake most of the night.

Mar 29th, 1999, 07:01 PM
Danella Sherwood

Rye is great! We've been there several times. Don't stay at Jeake's House! They were very rude and did not honor a coupon we had which they had accepted when we made our reservation, and the rooms were very small! We were happy with The Old Vicarage Guest House, but it has been some time ago. Friends have stayed at Swale Cottage and gave it a high rating. There's a great guide of B&B's for garden lovers. E-mail me if you want the address. On for nearby Winchelsea was featured in Victoria magazine.

Danella

Danella Sherwood

Rye is great! We've been there several times. Don't stay at Jeake's House! They were very rude and did not honor a coupon we had which they had accepted when we made our reservation, and the rooms were very small! We were happy with The Old Vicarage Guest House, but it has been some time ago. Friends have stayed at Swale Cottage and gave it a high rating. There's a great guide of B&B's for garden lovers. E-mail me if you want the address. On for nearby Winchelsea was featured in Victoria magazine.

Danella

Danella Sherwood

Danella

Mar 30th, 1999, 04:11 AM
elaine

Just an additional fact about Rye, perhaps you already know that it was the long-time home of Henry James. Later
E F Benson who wrote the Mapp and Lucia
books also lived there, in Henry James's former home.