Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   charles de gaulle airport to montparnasse train station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/charles-de-gaulle-airport-to-montparnasse-train-station-201199/)

dan Apr 16th, 2002 07:54 PM

charles de gaulle airport to montparnasse train station

we will be landing at cdg airport in paris at 7:40am and have to take a TGV train in gare montparnasse to southwest france at 10:10am. please advise the fastest way (taxi, shuttle or train)between these two<BR>stations. many thanks.<BR>

Tony Apr 16th, 2002 09:58 PM

This could be quite close - It's a long way by taxi, and therefore expensive. You will also be heading into Paris in the rush hour, so traffic will be heavy.<BR>If your plane is on time the quickest option might be this.<BR>A frequent free shuttle runs from the terminals to the RER station. On the RER a line D Orly train will take you to Denfert-Rochereau, 3 stops past Chatelet-Les Halles in the centre of Paris. From Denfert a short taxi ride (if available) or 3 stops on line 4 metro train - the northbound trains to Porte de Clignancourt, the 3rd. stop being Montparnasse.<BR>If your plane is more than a little late then you could be in trouble.<BR>Whereabouts in S.W.France are you heading? There are some direct TGVs from Charles de Gaulle. For example there is an 0855 from the airport to Tours, Poiters, Bordeaux etc.which would be far easier if you are going that way. Quicker too, it arrives Bordeaux at 1258.<BR>email if I can help further.

Tony Apr 16th, 2002 10:21 PM

Sorry Dan I nearly ruined your trip.<BR>The RER line from CDG is Line B (Orly)<BR>There is a line D as well, but does'nt go where you are heading.<BR>Humble apologies.

Amy Apr 17th, 2002 04:17 AM

Dan: The Air France shuttle goes to Gare Montparnasse. According to the one of my travel sites, here's the info:<BR><BR>Line 4 coaches depart every 30 minutes from 07h until 21h, stopping at Gare de Lyon, then Gare Montparnasse at boulevard Vaugirard. Shuttle leaves from exit 34 on the arrival level. Fare 70 frances, 50 minutes. <BR><BR>I think you should expect the trip to take 60 minutes in morning traffic, but believe me, it's painless. I've taken taxis and trains. The problem with the taxi is that if there's a traffic jam, the fee can skyrocket. The train involves lugging luggage up shuttles, down and up staircases. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

StCirq Apr 17th, 2002 05:16 AM

Tom:<BR><BR>I make this same trip several times a year. Take a taxi - if the p&eacute;riph&eacute;rique isn't "fluide," your driver should know how to get off it and avoid the jams. Public transportation is pretty much a nightmare, and the shuttles can't get off the p&eacute;riph&eacute;rique to search for alternative routes. Take a taxi. You have plenty of time to make that connection. It should take you about an hour, maximum, and cost you between $30 and $40.

Wayne Apr 17th, 2002 05:25 AM

I must agree that for the absolutely best transit time, take a taxi. But the Air France shuttle, which I have used several times, will be very reliable and is likely to make it to Gare Montparnasse within 10 minutes of its planned time---barring some huge disaster. I think if my connection times were what yours are, I would use the Air France shuttle only if the plane lands on time and if you can catch the 8:00 am bus.

Amy Apr 17th, 2002 08:31 AM

I agree with Wayne, Dan. If you can make the 8:00 shuttle, just take it. <BR><BR>If you miss it, you have the taxi as your backup.