Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Charles de Gaulle airport question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/charles-de-gaulle-airport-question-430926/)

grace44 Sep 10th, 2008 06:41 AM

Charles de Gaulle airport question

I just read a very funny satirical article, about being lost and confused in Charles de Gaulle airport, from vacations to go newsleter(I would copy it here but it was very long,can't provide a link as it came in my email). After reading it I wondered,if I had options should I really try to avoid this airport. My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe next year for a month. I want to spend a week in lauterbrunnen and a week in Strasbourg, leaving the rest open. I can't image being in Europe anywhere without going to Paris, so I had planned on flying into Charles de Gaulle airport and spending a few days in Paris first. Then taking the high speed train to Strasbourg. After reading the article, I got to wondering if it would be better to fly into Geneve or Zurich and spend some time in Paris on the way back to Amsterdam, flying home from there. My question is what are some of your experiences good or bad of Charles de Gaulle airport. We have been to Europe five times, always in and out of Schiphol. We have always found that airport extremely easy to use.

Gretchen Sep 10th, 2008 06:49 AM

there is no reason to bypass CDG. The article you are referring to was obviously written for humor and not for knowledge--it happens. Like the time the man lived at CDG--a true story.
I guess you have never been to Paris and I would urge you to think about a longer stay there--no matter whether you do it going or comeing.

StCirq Sep 10th, 2008 06:56 AM

As bad as CDG can be, I can't imagine actually changing an itinerary to avoid it. I also can't imagine getting "lost" in it, as both terminals are relatively small. Schipol is huge compared to CDG.

Take the article for what it was intended to be - a funny story - and go ahead with your plans.

grace44 Sep 10th, 2008 07:51 AM

Thanks Gretchen. We have been in Paris twice, staying a week each time. We loved it. Finding the people warm and welcoming, we want to go back. The reason for Strasbourg is I have traced my family back to 1822 in Ottrott Le Bas and Klingenthral. I want to go there and see the place my family came from. I have been really trying to learn some French so I can communicate with people in the smaller villages. The rest of the vacation is not set in stone, we have lots of options. That's why I thought we may want to avoid Charles de Gaulle airport. We also loved Lauterbrunnen, we stayed a week there and want to go back.

lincasanova Sep 10th, 2008 08:57 AM

i chuckled at the same article!

the signage can be confusing to say the least. for example, there is an arrow pointing DOWN for terminals, very near a staircase.. but they really want you to proceed STRAIGHT, not go down the stairs.

also, the lighting of the terminals and the colors/design of the signage does not help to see them from a distance. they are not very large.. but once you realize WHAT the signage looks like, it is not as difficult.

one of the most common mistakes i have seen people make is to follow everyone into the immigration line when they were actually transiting..

sometimes it is just cattle following cattle.. but depending on where they have left you off.. you have a "transit" option...and can go directly to your next flight when connecting.

i totally understand anyone´s confusion, though. I hope my 17 yr old nephew (first overseas flight) handles it well this June!

kelliebellie Sep 10th, 2008 09:26 AM

It will be no problem especially if you aren't trying to catch a connecting flight. You will actually be able to exit the airport and find your train to the city.

bozama Sep 10th, 2008 09:40 AM

I read the article also, thought it was misleading. Guy missed plane because his flight arrived late from Venice, nothing to do with CDG airport. Actually thought article did novice travellers no favors by misleading them and freaking them out( like you, obviously now nervous after reading it otherwise why post about it right?)

hpeabody Sep 10th, 2008 11:38 AM

Bookmarking

Barbara_in_FL Sep 10th, 2008 01:32 PM

Not to be contrary, but I can imagine changing an itinerary to avoid CDG, just as here in the states I sometimes try to avoid Atlanta (difficult to do when you live in North Florida). If there are options that seem reasonable, there's nothing wrong with choosing to avoid one of Europe's busiest airports. Having said that, I wouldn't add significantly to my overall travel time just to avoid it. So it depends on what your options are. It's not terrible -- it's just a huge place where directions are not always clear and information is not always posted.