Search

Spring in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring in Rome

My wife and I are spending our 25th anniversary in Rome, April 19-26. Rented an apartment in north Trastevere area with a 360 degree view of Rome. We're from Los Angeles and need help on what kind of coat/jacket to wear. I've been looking at TWC temperature averages for that week and they're between 48-67 deg F. Are trench coats OK?
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:01 PM

Weather can vary from year to year. We had snow during early April one year, near Orvieto (an hour or so north of Rome). Just today I spoke with an Italian friend who lives in the north of the country, and he said that they were wearing t-shirts today. He said spring had arrived!

I'd take a lightweight jacket, if it were me. You may or may not need it.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM

1. I was there March 6 to 12. The weather has been poor this year across much of Europe. Normally in mid-March it reaches a daily high of 15 C but it was appreciably cooler this time.

2. I find Italians overdress, relative to us Canadians. So if you bring clothing that is too heavy, at least you won't look like a tourist.

3. By mid-April I would not expect to wear a topcoat in Rome ...but this year all bets are off.

4. BTW: for both men and women, belted trenches -- very short, tightly cinched and in very light shades of beige -- are very hip this year.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. We were suppose to be there this week until BA cancelled our flight from London to Rome. We were looking forward to spending Holy Week/Semana Santa in Rome. Lightweight trenchcoats are all we wear here in Los Angeles. Don't get that cold.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM

I'll be there very close to the same time. I'm not taking a trench, but I don't own one.

DH and I take light rain jackets that we can layer underneath.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 05:17 AM

We were in Rome last year in April - and we are going back again next week. We found that day time temperatures were steady ranging from mid 50's to mid 60's. But it was always a bit cool in the early morning and after the sun went down in the evening. I brought a light jacket and when it was cool I wore a light wool or cashmere sweater under the jacket. There were days when I didn't need a jacket at all. The jacket came in handy on the days we had rain. When the weather got warm, I took my jacket off and hung it over my tote bag on my shoulder. Keep checking the Weather Channel each day to help with your packing decisions.

Have fun!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM

We are just back and the weather was quite warm. I would take a smaller jacket than a topcoat, then you won't have to carry it when you go into buildings.
Do take small travel umbrellas.
Sorry your trip was delayed but it is actually a good thing. Rome during Holy Week is packed.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM

It's actually about the same as LA. I think your trench coats would be a burden. Fleece vests plus other layers would make more sense to me.

The dates you most need to be aware of are the weekend of april 25 -- which is a huge national holiday in Italy, so reserve any transportation needs you have well ahead. And if you are planning day trips, there is currently a national rail strike planned for 24 hours beginning April 22 at 9pm.

Be sure to take time to enjoy the mosaics in the church of Santa Maria in Trastevere. If you would like an unpretentious trattoria and if your apartment is near to piazza della Rovere, the restaurant in the piazza, called Sor'Eva, has terrific home-made pastas and seasonal dishes, and a completely no-touristy vibe. Budget friendly. Closed Mondays.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:26 AM

Usually Rome is warm on that period of the year but surely you need to take a jacket, like the trench coat, but you will need it only during night.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the reply. Bags are packed, trenchcoats ready to go and Saturday night got the bad news-flight cancelled due to volcano erupting in Iceland. Rebooked to 4/25-5/3. Wish us luck.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Glad you are re-booked.
BTW: You know it is already 70-ish in Rome, right?
Remember the April 25 holiday.......