Notices

charge cards

Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

charge cards

Which are the best charge cards to use in Scandinavia?
Know Captiol One does not have a charge fee but what others are accepted?
Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM

No one cares what bank your CC is from - the arrangements are made by Visa or MC through the various global networks.

So - almost all places take Visa or MC, while AmEx is supported in fewer places - but most larger/upscale ones. The sign in the window will tell you. If you have discover - that is NOT supported in europe - useless.

but do plan on paying cash for anything less than about $25 (practically nothing in Scandinavia).
Jun 23rd, 2013, 11:13 AM

Why?
Jun 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM

Interestingly, I got an email from Discover two months ago. The back of the card now has a Diners Club logo, and they state the card is accepted overseas anywhere DC is. (That includes at least some places in most European countries, probably higher end.) The email also says they will not be charging the foreign currency transaction ripoff fee. I plan to test next month.

For the OP: whether a card is accepted is a question of the network (Visa, MC, etc.), not who issued it. And the fee for foreign transactions varies from 0 to 3+%. I make that my determining factor.

And, as nytraveler points out, in many countries cash is still king.

Also, I don't know about Scandinavia, but there exist machines that accept only chip-and-pin cards. These include the automatic ticket dispensers of the Paris Metro, and, in one embarrassing moment, the automated gate at a parking garage. In both cases, a human cashier who could work with our older-tech cards was nearby.

Search this Thread