Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chantilly or Chenonceau? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chantilly-or-chenonceau-390701/)

abhodges Jul 7th, 2008 04:54 PM

Chantilly or Chenonceau?

Hello-
My husband and I will be travelling with our 3 children --- 15, 9 and 5. Can't decide between a day trip to Chantilly or Chenonceau. I'd love to get feedback from those who have visited these 2 sites. Would one be of more interest to children? One more beatiful than the other?

When considering Chenonceau.... I was also thinking of driving to Saumur and Tours. Wise decision? Doable in a day?

Thanks!

Saraho Jul 7th, 2008 05:07 PM

I like both, but my favorite is Chenonceau. It is really beautiful.

You could go to one other place in a day. I think your children might also like the chateau with the large pack of dogs, especially at their feeding time. Right now I can't remember the name of it- have to go look it up or maybe someone else can tell you the name.

I haven't been to Tours or Saumur, but another good choice would be Amboise which would be a much shorter drive than Saumur.

StCirq Jul 7th, 2008 05:15 PM

Well, that's really apples and oranges. Chantilly is just outside Paris, can be accessed by public transportation, and should be combined with a trip to Senlis if possible.

Chenonçeau is one of many appealing castles in the Loire valley, which is a bit of an excursion from Paris and not one that I'd do as a day trip, but rather save until I could spend at least 3 days there. Adding Saumur into the mix makes for a really crammed daytrip. I would avoid Tours in any case, whether I had a day or a month.

Shanti Jul 7th, 2008 05:19 PM

I enjoyed Saumur, but it is about a 2 hour additional drive and that would be trying for the kids, especially the 5 year old. And, combined with Chenonceau, it's too much for a day trip.

nancy Jul 7th, 2008 05:35 PM

I haven't been to Chenonceau but have been to Chantilly. When we got off the train we walked alongside the horse racing ring and on to the horse stables - actually a museum. We wound up seeing a horse show - would definitely appeal to the kids.

Then we walked on to the palace which is beautiful as is the surrounding gardens/lake. Then walked back thru town (very small and nothing to see) to the train station.

I don't know how often a horse show goes on - we were there during the last week in May.

abhodges Jul 7th, 2008 06:16 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. Can you tell me how long the ride is from Paris to Chenonceau (time and km/miles)?

StCirq Jul 7th, 2008 06:35 PM

The "ride?" Are you planning to drive or take a train?

Drive is about 2 hours. Train is pretty cumbersome. I'd have to check connections, but you'd probably have to take the train (could be TGV) to Tours and then a local train, then walk a ways.

abhodges Jul 7th, 2008 06:37 PM

Oops, my mistake.... we will be driving. Thanks StCirq.

traveller1959 Jul 8th, 2008 02:46 AM

We have been to the Loire valley several times with our kids and have visited there about two dozen different castles. Chenonceaux is one of the smallest, but most romantic with the gallery stretching across the river. When you are in the area, I would recommend to visit Amboise castle (because of the Leonardo-da-Vinci museum with replicas of the machines he designed when he lived there) and Chambord castle (because it is large and very impressive). Ussé is another option with its fairy-tale display, but it is even farther away from Paris.

BUT: Driving time from Paris will be three hours (without traffic jams) and I do not know if that will be fun for your kids just to visit a castle or two.

Chantilly is just one hour from Paris. The castle itsself is spectacular and so is the surrounding park.

www.chateaudechantilly.com

Inside the castle is the second best art museum of France (after the Louvre) with many world-famous paintings - but I am not sure if the kids will like that. But there is the horse museum:

www.museevivantducheval.fr

Conclusion: I would recommend Chantilly rather than Chenonceaux if it should be a day trip.

gracejoan3 Jul 8th, 2008 06:25 AM

I have been to all the suggestions. I would definitely say Chantilly for your group and also time considerations.

Get online to the sites previously given to you for whatever reservations you might need for the horse program.

You can dine there too..

I'm sure you will all enjoy....

kerouac Jul 8th, 2008 06:42 AM

I think that children will prefer Chantilly, especially if you visit the horse museum, which is very child friendly and has a little horse training show.

nini Jul 8th, 2008 06:43 AM

Chenonceau was definitely our favorite chateau in the Loire. If you decide to visit and will be driving, you could also see Cheverny which is fairly close. This is the chateau with the hunting hounds--kids would enjoy seeing them. The gardens at both chateaux are beautiful.

kerouac Jul 8th, 2008 02:34 PM

I love Chenonceau -- one of my favorite châteaux in France. But in terms of children, I still vote for Chantilly.