Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Chania to Herkalion to meet morning ferry

Chania to Herkalion to meet morning ferry

Mar 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Chania to Herkalion to meet morning ferry

I've read conflicting info regarding taking a morning bus from Chania to Herkalion to catch the ferry to Santorini, versus staying in Herkalion the night before the ferry. Pros and cons? We don't want to miss a night in Chania, unless there is something to be said for also spending a night in Herkalion, but don't want to be stressed about potentially missing my ferry to Santorini, especially as it is high season (1st week July). We are currently thinking of double booking for the night before the ferry (both Chania and Herk) so we could have the freedom of deciding on the fly, but would prefer to avoid this expense if possible, since we'd essentially be paying for 2 rooms and only using one. But, don't want to really leave this connection to chance. Help, Please?
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM

The capital of Crete is Iraklion (often "Heraklion" in English), not "Herkalion".
The bus journey from Hania takes about two and a half hours. According to www.cretetravel.com, the first bus is at 0530. In Iraklion, the bus station is close to the port. If the catamaran to Santorini leaves at 0945, you'd need to leave Hania very early.
I'd stay in Iraklion: it's a lively Greek city, rather than a holiday resort, but is an interesting place.

Search this Thread