Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Chania Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/chania-hotels-261167/)

Sally Sep 26th, 2002 06:17 AM

Chania Hotels

I am helping my parents plan their Greeece trip. They are trying to decide beween the Amphora Hotel and the Nostos Apartments in Chania. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

jef Sep 26th, 2002 10:57 PM

If money is not a problem i suggest the 'casa delfino' as one of the best choices.<BR><BR>An other exceptional quality/value is the best western Porto Veneziano wich is right on the old harbour and with a direct access to restaurants etc...

Marian Sep 28th, 2002 01:35 PM

I never actually went inside, but the Amphora Hotel is in an excellent location. It looks nice from the outside, and has an outdoor roof area where you can sit and check out the harbor. It is very close to Casa Delfino, which also looked very nice. (I think Casa Delfino is probably on the expensive side) I stayed in the Porto del Colombo which is right next door to Casa Delfino. It was around 55 Euros a night, and I thought it was a nice place to stay. (Nothing really fancy, but it was clean, the people were friendly, good location, historical old building...)

Sheila Oct 1st, 2002 05:18 AM

The Nostos and the Amphora are not in the same financial league as Casa Delfino.<BR><BR>The locations are similar and very good. I have friends who have stayed at the Nostos and were well pleased. The Amphora gets an OK name too, but I have no direct or indirect experience. Try the explorecrete website. Someone there may know more.

Mia Nov 3rd, 2002 05:22 PM

Casa Delfino Casa Delfino Casa Delfino<BR><BR>I've suggested it in other posts. I generally don't get so passionate about previous hotels I've stayed in, but this is one of the few that has really stuck with me.

mjs Nov 3rd, 2002 08:49 PM

We stayed at the Casa Delfino last year and loved it. Also thought it was a good value for the money although you can spend less at decent places nearby.<BR>Agree totally with Mia. Would not stay anywhere else in Chania.

Stella Nov 14th, 2002 03:10 AM

Cheap and nice accommodation in Chania town is the Creta Elena apartments and Studios. It is centrally located, walking distance to the famous market of Chania , the harbour and the old town. Part of the complex is a neoclasical building. If you need more info contact me in my email

Stan Nov 14th, 2002 03:54 AM

Stella, please give us information about the Creta Elena apartments and Studios here.<BR>I am interested in staying in a place which is less expensive than Casa Delfino

leslieyoung Feb 11th, 2003 06:05 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Amphora and LOVED IT!! It's on the main &quot;street&quot; in town, which we found out the hard way was only a road the locals drive on. We had a huge room with 2 twin beds (pulled together) with private balcony overlooking the harbor for $112 a night. It was awesome and we'd go back in a second. The only negative- the locals are into racing their motercyles around the harbor right outside the window but a white noise machine works wonders!

michaeld Feb 12th, 2003 03:38 AM

I'd go for the Porto del Colombo which is an old building a couple of blocks in from the sea, but the higher rooms still have sea views and are only $60-80 a night.<BR><BR>There are good pictures on:<BR>www.i-escape.com/portodelcolombo.php<BR><BR>Or the Pandora Suites which is a bit pricier, but further from the harbour road and better views (do a google search)<BR><BR>