Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Changing trains in Napoli for Salerno? Taking the train from Salerno to Pompeii? Possible to take ferries from Salerno if the weather is nice?

Search

Changing trains in Napoli for Salerno? Taking the train from Salerno to Pompeii? Possible to take ferries from Salerno if the weather is nice?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Has anyone ever taken a trains to Salerno from Rome? Does one need to change in Napoli and, if so, is it obvious where to go inside the train station to avoid getting on the Circumvesuviana by mistake?

Also, I plan to visit Pompeii after visiting Salerno. I understand that the train station for the main line is not located in the same place as the Circumvesuviana train station. Is the main line train station convenient to the mail town and its hotels, or will I need take a taxi with my rolling carryon bag?

Finally, do any ferries run in late November out of Salerno? I have a bit of time to spare and I'm thinking if the weather is nice it could be a lot of fun to take a ferry out of Salerno with the idea of ending up in Napoli or Sorrento to take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. I know it would take all day, but is it even possible? (I've already seen the Amalfi coast by land).

Thanks if you can help!

PS: One last question: Do they still have a restaurant car on the Rome-Napoli trains?

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi ID,

1. Trains schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

The main train line is upstairs. The Circumvesuviana line is downstairs (Garibaldi station).

2. The train to Pompei Scavi is the Circumvesuviana line.

You can take the SITA bus to Meta (the stop before Sorrento) an the C train from there.

Returning, take the C train to Sorrento, and the SITA bus from there.

If you take the main train line to Pompeii, you will be about a mile from the archaeological site.

3. Ferries run in Nov, but are subject to weather conditions.

Why do you wish to visit Salerno?

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends on which train you book. Some of the trains from Rome to Salerno don't require a change. Look at the schedules on Trenitalia. If two trains are listed, then you have to change. If only one train is listed, you don't.

The main station in Pompeii isn't as convenient as the Circumvesuviana line that runs between Napols and Sorrento which has stops at Pompeii Scavi.

Some ferries should be running depending on weather. I would ferry to Sorrento (if possible)and catch the train to Pompeii from there.

There are restaurant cars on the AV and ES trains. That do not serve food at all times so it would depend on time of day you are traveling. At the start of the restaurant car is a bar (no seats) where you can get drinks and snacks. Past that is the dining area if you want a meal. You can take your own food on as the AV/ES trains have tables that you share with the person sitting across from you (seats are 2 facing 2 divided by the shared table).

To locate the other Pompeii station, use mappy.com and enter Pompeii. You may need to zoom in a bit, but all the train stations will show on the map as little train symbols. If you mouse over the symbol, the name of the station will appear.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Ira: Please show us where you are getting the idea that ferries run in clement weather in late November....

I had thought that the services were suspended by then..
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks! Just what I was looking for: details!

It really would be good to nail down whether or not ferries run, and to where. First I had the impression they didn't run, but then I had the impression that maybe they did in nice weather -- but only to some interim point like Capri or Positano, not all the way to Sorrento (which would be great).

I'll supply some more of my own details:

First of all, I'm going to Salerno because I want to visit Paestum. I'm meeting up with two friends, and the most convenient place to meet up is in Salerno, eat dinner, spend the night, etc and visit Paestum together in the morning.

I now have gone to the Trenitalia website and it appears that the most convenient train for me to catch requires a switch in Napoli. I take it ira is telling me to stay upstairs to make the switch to Salerno.

Regarding the proximity of the train stations in Pompeii to the excavations, I will be getting off the train and going to a hotel to get rid of my luggage. (I'm spending a few nights in Pompeii.) Thanks for the suggestion to use mappy to figure out if I can walk to the hotel I intend to book from the main train line. Thanks!

Thanks too for the information about eating on the train. It looks like I can make it into Salerno in time for a nice dinner, but maybe my friends will be on a later train.

By the way, any tips on visiting Paestum? I'm assuming it's a fairly straightforward train or bus trip to the excavation sight from Salerno, and will work out the details with the hotel desk. (I won't have a car.) I plan to spend the entire morning there before returning to Salerno to pick up my luggage and either proceed by train to Pompeii or by ferry if such a thing is possible.

When I read about Salerno I see that some of the columns and sarcophagi from Paestum were removed to Salerno. If I take the train to Pompeii instead of the ferry, I may linger in Salerno to see those artifacts. Or may try to have lunch in Vietri sul Mare and take a gander at the ceramics there.

Any and all info welcome! Thanks again.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:37 AM

eks - Not all ferries suspend service, but I'm not sure which lines serve Salerno. For example, if you look at the Alilauro website, you will see their winter schedule. From Sorrento to Naples they have five departures daily. You have to look at individual companies, not Metro del Mare. Metro del Mare is essentially an arm of the Campania transportation system that operates summers only (March-October).
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Thanks, Ky.

Just wondering where Ira is getting his information that ferries serve Salerno in late November..I could not find anything that confirms this..

I have not spent any time in Salerno in many years, but it is certainly a a pleasant place to spend a night or two. I believe the Duomo has a set of bronze doors from Constantinople. You will have no trouble finding good restaurants!

http://www.insalerno.com/salerno/duomo.htm

Not far from Vietri, Cetara is a lovely unspoiled fishing village with the reputation as the best eating town on the Amalfi coast..
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:53 AM

I wouldn't stay in Pompeii. Is there a reason you chose Pompeii other than visiting Pompeii Scavi?

If you plan to visit other nearby ruins (Herculaneum, etc.) you might want to consider getting the 3 day all sites Campania Arte Card. It will give you admission and transportation for the three days. I think Pompeii and Herculaneum (just a few train stops on the Circumvesuviana from Pompeii Scavi station) are 11€ each for entrance. This card that includes tranportation (including in Naples)is 25€. Includes the museum in Naples (Pasteum also).
http://www.artecard.it/EN/Home.cfm

There's a 7 day card, but I don't think it has the transportation option.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM

italydetails,

When I visited Paestum, I was coming from Praiano and it took quite a while to get there using public trans. I think you idea of staying overnight in Salerno is a very good one!

At the train station in Salerno, you buy the local trans ticket which will allow you to ride either the train or bus. I never could find the right bus to Paestum, so took the train.

The train station is a rather long walk to the actual sight in Paestum. I understand the bus lets you off right there.

If for some reason you do take the train, it's very IMPORTANT to know that return tickets are NOT sold at the Paestum station. It's tiny. You have to get your return ticket at the bar in Paestum before heading back to the station.

I loved Paestum. Very impressive and beautiful.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this additional information.

I've been Googling up the various independent ferry lines, and it's really impossible to tell what might be running at that late date -- and surely nothing will run if the seas are rough. So I'll just have to wait 'til I get there. One member of our trio has never seen the Amalfi Coast, so he may opt to take the bus to Sorrento and we'll catch up with him in Pompeii.

Kybourbon,

Thanks for the great tip about the Arte card. After Pompeii, we are going to Napoli, so I bet it would save us money, because we plan to go to lots of museums.

I'm staying in Pompeii because the major focus of this trip is the excavation sites, including Herculaneum and maybe Oplolonti. The days are really short in November, and I don't want to rush around if I can help it. I want to get up in the morning and go to the sites right after breakfast and stay until they kick me out. I've already heard the town isn't scenic, but I've heard it has a enough good restaurants to keep us happy after dark (I'm sure we'll just head to bed after dinner).

ekscrunchy,

Thanks for that link! I'm bookmarking it. We'll just have to see what the weather is like and what time it is when we've left Paestum and what people feel like doing. Maybe lunch in a fishing village will work if we can get there in time, especially if the other friend prefers to get on a bus and trek up the Amalfi Coast.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Dayle,

When you say the monuments in Paestum are a "rather long walk" from the train station, can you guestimate that in kilometers, miles or minutes? And thanks for the heads up on getting return tickets.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM

After looking at the Arte Card, I see transport is only with the 3 day all sites card. It might be beneficial for you to buy two 3 day cards to use consecutively if you are spending that much time in the area traveling around and visiting the sites the card covers. The transportation would cover the Sita busses between the coastal cities (normally 6€ for a day pass), along with trains and other busses.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM

My post about the all sites Arte Card might be a bit misleading. It works similar to the Roma Pass. You get a transportation ticket good for three days. You also get a museum card which will get you into your first two sites free and fter that you get discounts (usually 50% off) at other sites for the three days. A regional transport pass from Unico Campania purchased alone is 20€ for three days.

Are you spending time in Rome? If so, you might want to get the Roma Pass (20€ until Jan.1 when it increases to 23&euro.
http://www.romapass.it/?l=en
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm, kybourbon. I'm going to have to do some serious figuring with a pencil and piece of paper to figure out which Arte card(s) to buy. I think the Arte card doesn't cover the transportation we are most likely to use getting to Salerno, Paestum and to Pompeii. Does it cover mainline train tickets between Salerno and Pompeii? Or the regular public bus between Salerno and Paestum?

But an Arte card looks like it might considerably reduce our entrance fees over the 6 day period we plan to visit Paestum, Pompeii, Herculaneum, and several sites in Napoli: the archeological museum , the Certosa di San Martino, Museo Santa Chiara and Capodimonte (although I'm not sure that last one is in the package).

The Arte card that looks like a real steal is the 40 euro 365 pass!

The only part of the Rome trip I'm in for is the Ostia Antica part, which is just half a day, but my friends will be spending more time there -- although I think most of their touristing will be in places with no entrance fees.

Thanks again. I've got my work to do.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Yes, it should include all of your transportation within Campania. How's your Italian? I can't get the English portion of the Unico Campania (the regions transportation website) to work, but maybe it's not compatible with my browser. This is where the Arte Card transportation can be used.
http://www.unicocampania.it/ita/home.htm

This explantion of Unico Campania on wiki might help you understand the local transportation better. They are talking about buying zone tickets, but the Arte Card would include a general transport pass and should cover all the zones. Read the get around and train sections.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Campania
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM

This link might explain better. It shows a picture of the general 3 day transportation pass that anyone can buy just to get around Campania. Next to the picture of the ticket is the list of places you can get to with the ticket (blurry names to the right). Pasteum, Salerno, etc.
http://www.unicocampania.it/ita/3tbig.htm

It would cost 20€ just to buy a 3 day transport ticket. Might was well spring for another 5€ and get some museums thrown in by buying the 25€ Arte Card.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ira

Hi ID,

A: When we took the train from Salerno to Paestum, the ticket agent told us to look for the train to X (forgot the final destination).

It turned out that there were 2 trains to X leaving at the samee time, but only one went to Paestum. So prepare for that.

B: When you arrive at the train station in Paestum, exit from the door and walk about 0.3km along the road.

There is a nice cafe on the corner.

Go right to the main entrance (about 0.2km)

The Museum is worth visiting.

There is a nice gelato/cafe shop as well.

No need to worry about buying a return ticket in Paestum. Get an RT ticket in Salerno.

BTW, it is pronounced Pes tomb.

Enjoy our visit.

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM

The ferry is still running twice daily (- weather permitting) - on the route -

SALERNO-AMALFI-POSITANO-CAPRI

As I recall, the walk from Paestum station was about 20 mins/1 mile.

Steve

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM

ID - If you're staying in Pompei, there is a direct train service to Paestum from Pompei FS (- journey time: 55' approx).
No need to change in Salerno ...

For timetables see:
http://tinyurl.com/5sq6se

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Buongiorno, ira and kybourbon,

My italian is primitivo, but it's enough to see that it looks like some combination of 3-day discount cards that include transportation would save us a chunk of money. (I'm glad to see the cards include taking the funiculars in Napoli).

I've looked at 10-day weather forecasts and right now the prediction is for thunderstorms in Salerno on the day we'd be looking at catching a ferry. But if the weather forecast changes, it would be great to take a ferry to Capri and then another one to Napoli if we can make that work.

But if the weather is lousy, we will take the train. I was thinking that we would leave our luggage in Salerno (at the hotel) in order to visit Paestum and retrieve it on our way to Pompeii (probably stopping for lunch in Salerno). Or can we takel our luggage to Paestum and store it there? At the train station? The museum?

(Ira, credo, con il mio italiano, che e' "Pahyaystoom".) Ma mille grazie per la distanza a Paestum alla ferrovia e l'altra informazione.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -