Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Changing train tickets.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/changing-train-tickets-1042391/)

cathart47 Apr 9th, 2015 03:10 PM

Changing train tickets....

I purchased advance train tickets, which are non-refundable, on-line, and when I printed them, I realized that I wanted Premiere class tickets, not Tourist class tickets. Is there any way I can change those tickets to Premiere class tickets now? It is for a 3 1/2 hour trip from Granada to Seville, and I think we would be a lot more comfortable in Premiere class, wouldn't we?

PalenQ Apr 9th, 2015 04:49 PM

did you ask this question of where you purchased them from - that would be the only definitive answer??? I think it you want to upgrade it is never a problem - more money for RENFE - is there no contact info on the site? Just curious. Thanks.

anyegr Apr 9th, 2015 05:08 PM

I think you need to ask Renfe about it. I suspect that you will have to either live with your mistake or pay for entirely new tickets.

On the other hand, I did a number of train trips in Spain last summer and there was nothing wrong with Tourista class seats. Maybe someone who usually travels first class will feel uncomfortable, but I had no complaints.

The longest trip I did by train was slightly under three hours. I did the Seville to Granada trip by bus and there was nothing wrong with that either. Both the trains and the buses were clean.

Robert2533 Apr 9th, 2015 06:28 PM

What type of Tourist Class tickets are they? If they are Tourist Plus, then you will be in the 1st or business class coach where seating is 2 +1 and not the tourist coach where the seating is 2+2. The tickets should show the seats you're been assigned.

The train from Granada to Seville does not serve food as it is not a long-distance AVE, so there is little difference in the class of travel, if you have a Tourist Plus ticket.

You can go to the station in Sevilla the day before your scheduled departure and try to exchange the non-refundable tickets, but it's doubtful they will do it. If they do, then you will have to pay the difference of what the tickets cost and the walk-up fare, just like the airlines. It may be easier and less expensive just to purchase new tickets and toss the others.

WomBatt Apr 10th, 2015 05:57 AM

I am unable to quite grasp what you say as these are MD trains with no class differential. I do not think you purchased these tickets from RENFE as you are talking of Premiere.
And due to work on the network you will be changing to a coach for half the journey.
You are wasting your time :-)

Christina Apr 10th, 2015 08:20 AM

I agree, nonrefundable/no changes means exactly that, it isn't complicated nor confusing. Except for the fact that that train doesn't have classes and Premiere isn't a Spanish rail class, either. The RENFE site clearly states that route is a bus, also.